Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR - how fast is fast enough to travel

Used to fly 150 KTAS, now 110, and very happy. I don’t mind at all being aloft a little longer in a comfortable cabin that is. I’m surprised @Dan did not chime in yet but let me be bold and speak on his behalf: Carson speed

Last Edited by aart at 09 May 17:47
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

To the OP: obvously the answer depends on how far you are going, but in general range is the best “speed mod”.

10 hours range is further than my bladder can withstand by a factor of 2 or 3, I’m afraid…. but it helps avoiding the horrendous costs of fuel in some countries…..

EDL*, Germany

I am going to stick my neck out and say that for me it it isn’t the speed – ie how quickly you get there, but how you get there.

Flying for me is supposed to be enjoyable and is part of the overall trip. So, It’s the route, the airbourne/leg time between stops, the time of the stop and also what you do during the stop – this is what makes the flight either a drag, or a pleasure… at least it does for me and Ms SD when VFR.

For me the route is, if possible a straight line, but if a detour means a good view and something intersting to see from the air (like following an interesting coast) then go for that, as interesting countryside beats boring flat sameness, be it fields or sea. Airbourne/leg time is an optimum two to two and a half hours, no more than 3hrs without a damn good reason, and no more than 2 legs per day, because anymore than that becomes tiring, and being tired isn’t enjoyable. The stop itself can be “a quickie”, but hanging around waiting for others is a no-no. Good stops allow Ms SD to sit in a nice spot with a coffee/cake etc and use “the facilities” while I do the boring stuff, the best ones allow me to do the boring stuff and join Ms SD…

Regards, SD..

Steve6443 wrote:

10 hours range is further than my bladder can withstand by a factor of 2 or 3, I’m afraid…. but it helps avoiding the horrendous costs of fuel in some countries…..

Ever tried this?:

I just bought a pack hoping it will solve this for me. xD

ELLX, Luxembourg

Travelled all over Europe in an Aviat Husky. 120 Kts Loved it. Landed in more fields than airports. So 120 is great fun especially if your ship can deal with some lumpy ground. Have fun.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

hazek wrote:

Ever tried this?:

got them in the plane for emergencies…..

EDL*, Germany

surprised @Dan did not chime in yet but let me be bold and speak on his behalf: Carson speed

Well, just back from some flying @Aart, but yes, thanks, perfect answer 👍🏻
Carson (or anything slower) is THE speed if you like flying and be efficient at it.
OTOH if, like most here, you just use that magic carpet only as a tool to get there, great pity, then the faster the better, and then you’re done with it….

Last Edited by Dan at 09 May 18:47
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Carson speed gets interesting if you can fly up high 😛

I choose the maximum speed that the present setup allows to stay LOP. That typically settles around 143-150 TAS at around 8.5 to 9 GPH. E.g. After 3 hours flight time including climb and taxi and all I see 120 liters in the refuel. The longer the flight is the less it is per hour, because it is only one climb (the climb drives the fuel burn crazy).

But to get back on topic: Mission profile! 🤪

120 TAS is perfect for lots of missions. For my typical mission (900nm nonstop) it’d be a bit slow. But few people fly so long. If you seldom fly legs longer than 2 hours speed doesn’t matter.

Germany

120TAS but I agree with Peter that range is good.

Not necessarily to do longer legs, but for the time saved only have to refuel at the start of a typical day/weekend trip with the family.

For some destinations it’s also handy to be able to operate on grass as that can save time on ground transfer.

Last Edited by Winston at 09 May 19:10
Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Regarding doing legs shorter than your toilet endurance: it is only a matter of time before you have

• 1 coffee too many
  • a cold day
  • sun obscured by cloud, or at night
  • stress

and you might be utterly desperate after 1hr

Especially as you get older This affects males more but women get it too.

So this kind of aircraft range limitation is dangerous. And once you accept a longer range then a lot of stuff opens up. Stopping for fuel is a total waste of time, and any stopping is a reduction in safety because of the descent, the climb, and wx changing.

120kt is fine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message