Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1000 hours and going strong

I fully agree – but I am at least as curious about the “old” Aero Commander crossing the Aleutians; and about her subsequent adventures. It even seems the new owners will find avgas to feed her, I understand that is a non-trivial accomplishment in Russia?

Last Edited by at 01 Sep 17:16
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

An Aztruck which I flew for many years seems to have last been spotted in Western Ukraine, another country with no AvGas – sporting a G registration, but apparently not a current ARC.

These old twins were tough as long as you keep them fed and watered.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

AFAIU, they will feed the Commander’s GO435s with regular gas.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks, Bosco. Will try to do some more videos in the future.

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons they love geared engines over there, since they’re certified for car gas. Mine was certified for 80 octane. I really wanted to run some Mogas in it, but never did find anyone selling it in the US. Another thing is that the Russian registry consider anything that’s 50 years old (or somenthing close to that) as an experimental. So it can be maintained much easier that way. Another reason they’re swooping up old Stinsons with geared engines etc.

They flew across up by Nome, AK, so didn’t do the Aleutians. It’s a longer flight that way, but you over water crossing is only a few hundred NM.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 03 Sep 10:06
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message