Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurocontrol Fees / Route Charges

We don’t know enough about your mission. That is, you might not know either yet. Have a close look at the type of reasonable GA-use airfields in Europe (very different than in the US) and at where you would like to go.

But without knowing the details, I wouldn’t recommend the P-Baron here. Get rid of it in the States, buy something appropriate and fly it over. (Yes, a P-baron is pretty much seen as an “inappropriate” aircraft over here..! )

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You can roll your own noise certificate for your N-registered aircraft. In fact you are obliged to carry it when operating an N-reg outside the US. See here

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I fly a Meridian and pay Eurocontrol fees. It is painful but I would prefer that to flying overweight with for example a 1999kg STC.

EGTK Oxford

A Meridian with a 1999kg STC is practically unflyable. When fully fuelled, it is above MTOW with nobody and nothing inside.

A Jetprop is OTOH very usable and many of them fly around Europe. For mission capability coupled with low (if you can use that word with a $1M+ purchase price and turboprop engine with a $300k overhaul at 3600hrs or whatever) cost, it represents the first logical step-up from pistons.

However I would not dismiss a well equipped ancient piston twin which is already depreciated to the value of, ahem, two crankshafts. You can buy one for 1/5 of the price of a Jetprop and the difference can pay for a lot of avgas. It just seems silly, but it isn’t necessarily.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico,
It’s not a p-Baron, agree that would be possibly too limiting due to runway requirements and low probability of utilizing the high altitudes which allow you to take advantage of the benefits of p-barons.

EGTF, LFMD

low probability of utilizing the high altitudes which allow you to take advantage of the benefits of p-barons.

How high? You can do FL280, anywhere. Above that is RVSM (or is it FL290?).

Administrator

Peter, Jetprops are usually flown overweight. They are a good conversion but have some compromises in the environmental and other systems that I don’t personally like.

As an aside, I gather a recent European Jetprop accident has had its insurance claim denied due to being overloaded. Nothing to with it being a Jetprop but a salutary reminder that the oft repeated view that insurance won’t deny a claim based on W&B may not be something to rely on. I have no further details but believe it to be reliable.

You can do FL280, anywhere. Above that is RVSM (or is it FL290?).

280 is OK. Above requires RVSM.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Mar 19:27
EGTK Oxford

Peter, I made a similar calculation when I bought my 58 Baron for less than 1/5 the price of a new one from the factory. And I have glass, waas gps, good autopilot… Only useful gadgets I’m missing are traffic, stormscope and engine monitors, all of which I plan to install in a couple months. I know fuel burn is high but the step up aircraft are much, much more costly to run and certainly to purchase.
Thread drift but any recommendations on TAS systems because I would like to add this functionality. Bumbling around in the G with Farnborough providing basic service would feel a bit safer with some sort of traffic system (although it won’t help with the gliders and no transponder aircraft). I’ve been spoiled by the ADS-B in the US…
I have been through the shopping for a plane in Europe once before and have close to zero interest in doing it again. The market in Europe is pretty dysfunctional and has very little for sale at decent prices in most makes. I’m n-reg and looking to stay that way, so much better to buy in the US.

Last Edited by Patrick_K at 27 Mar 19:29
EGTF, LFMD

Peter, maybe I’m wrong on not using the high alt benefits of the p-Baron. But the longer runway requirements would be cancel out the benefits, for my missions. Besides, doesn’t really apply as I own a NA Baron…

EGTF, LFMD

The Avidyne TAS 6xx boxes (Avidyne bought Ryan) – mine – are perhaps the market leader in Europe. There is also Garmin.

There is a lot of non-TXP traffic in UK Class G but IMHO the bulk of it flies below 2000ft, so that’s the first step to do – fly above that.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message