Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurocontrol Fees / Route Charges

But maybe not, given the steep depreciation of prior vintage da-42s.

We had several threads here on the DA42 (the search function should dig them out OK) but one thing I heard only yesterday from my A&P/IA who used to work on a fleet of them: they have a lot of life limited stuff in Chapter 4 (the airworthiness limitations section) which means it is mandatory even on Part 91.

They also mostly seem to be low priced planes with lots of deferred maintenance, which have been sitting for a while, with old avionics, which are going to cost some multiple of the purchase price in their first annual if you want to bring things up to spec… Lots of old practically abandoned barons for sale out of Italy…

Exactly. For some reason, in Europe, a much higher % of twins are neglected than of singles. One could speculate why. One obvious reason might be that you have a spare engine so can be more lax on maintenance (not a line I would take, personally).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Patrick, the DA42 reference was just a friendly dig! – it’d be pointless to move sideways/backwards from a Baron to a DA42.

Instead with the relocation I’d take the opportunity to move a step up, which I gather is what you’ve been planning to do ultimately anyway. I’d consider selling the Baron in the US & buy a used turbine for Europe. Mu-2 (better check that noise certiticate thingy 1st though), Jetprop, whatever’s looking good to you.

QuotePeter, Jetprops are usually flown overweight. They are a good conversion but have some compromises in the environmental and other systems that I don’t personally like.

That is quite a sweeping generalisation Jason. I routinely fly on my own or with one other, and full fuel. I am still within the envelope on my Jetprop. Is the aircraft capable of operating safely overweight? IMHO by respecting the CG, yes it is, but just because I think so does not mean I take every opportunity to do so, nor do many of the other Jetprop owners I know personally.

Sure you have to manage the fuel loads carefully to remain legal and sometimes it may not be practical, but making it sound like every Jetprop flight is flown overweight is plainly wrong, and does a disservice to this aircraft and it’s owners.

Cheers. E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Sorry eal, I should have said routinely. YMMV but Jetprop owners I know tell me this is true. Is it unsafe, almost certainly not.

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Mar 09:19
EGTK Oxford

No problem Jason,
I hope we can meet up whilst I am visiting the UK. Would be nice to meet you in person. :-)

Cheers. E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Michael said, “Dude, you are in the WRONG part of Europe: I paid a visit to my local Total AvGas station last week and was greeted by a post of the next AvGas price change : down to 1.78€/Lt from 1.94€/L t Yipeee !!”

If thats the case I’ll be visiting Paris this summer.

KHTO, LHTL

I hope we can meet up whilst I am visiting the UK. Would be nice to meet you in person. :-)

Absolutely!

EGTK Oxford

C210 Flyer,
Funny thing is that I justified to myself buying a twin in the US when most other people here are making the other choice and buying a Cirrus or other single by closing my eyes and pretending I was buying and flying a single engine plane back in Europe… it works pretty well for the financial planning (except at overhaul time).
I guess you are right, I’m now going to have to imagine i’m flying a V-22 or 747 in the US while I cruise along in my costly twin in Europe.

EGTF, LFMD

Hodja,
I’m not ready for the trade up yet, have only had the BE58 for 3 months and 50 hours, I’d like to get a few years out of it.
also, just to be sure because I get confused from site to site, does Hodja = Hendrik?

Last Edited by Patrick_K at 30 Mar 21:41
EGTF, LFMD

So in the US, we don’t have user fees, but we are installing ADS-B. Many Americans are deathly afraid that this is a conspiracy and the US government will charge a user fee from the ADS-B. It seems to me that all the countries that currently charge user fees don’t need to complicate their user fee collection system with ADS-B. If the government wants to charge a user fee, it is obvious they don’t need ADS-B.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message