Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 430W (PC interface)

This allows pilots to wirelessly receive ADS-B weather and traffic, as well as display precise GPS position data and backup attitude information right on the iPad when using these apps with the Garmin Connext system.

So, outside the USA, all you get now for Foreflight is AHARS and 5 Hz WAAS GPS…

Not sure how useful FF is on this side of the pond anyway…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Indeed…

Can anyone offer an Executive Summary of what it does do, since one cannot load flight plans into the GPS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I gather that FS210 now supports some data transfer to and from Foreflight and that flight plan transfers will follow soon:

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/07/garmin-connected-cockpit-extended-foreflight-jeppesen-apps/

That said, until SkyDemon or EasyVFR joins the party, I’m happy with Garmin Pilot which has improved immensely this year – in terms of functions/features as well as databases. Flight plan and file at home on the iPad, clip it to the panel, then four or five screen touches and the GTN650 is ready to drive my AP while GP serves as an MFD. Simples!

In-flight route changes are also easier to enter and check on the iPad before firing them off to the GTN650.

Like Achim, I had a FP migrator dongle for my old GNS530, but it was way more trouble than it was worth.

Thread drift… A year or two ago, Garmin said that two other products were hurting them: iPad and Aspen. I would say they’ve sorted their iPad problem, but where’s the “Garmin Aspen”?

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 Dec 20:38
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

OK, to recap : if you read postings 10,12 and 15 above you’ll see that I wondered if a normal (left hand slot) NavData card for a GNS530W (price €214) would work as a Flight Plan Datacard if I used it in the right hand slot. The vendor of cards says that one can’t do that and that one needs to spend €448 to buy a special-purpose Flight Plan Datacard that is only for use in the GNS’s right hand slot.

I can now report that when I used a normal NavData card for the purpose, using Garmin’s new flightplan migration PC software and the Garmin card reader/writer attached to my PC, and then put the NavData card into the GNS530W’s right hand slot, the flight plan transfer WORKED PERFECTLY. It was good to see.

The import process: One switches off the GNSw device, puts the card with the flightplan into the right hand slot (which is usually used for the terrain datacard) and then switches on. The flightplan(s) then appears on the GNS’s screen with a message asking if you want to import it. After importation, switch off the GNSw, put the terrain card back in the right hand slot, restart the GNSw and the flightplan that one has imported is shown as one of your saved flightplans on the FPL second screen (in the flightplan listings) ready to use at any time in the future. This works even if some of the waypoints on the flightplan are not waypoints that the GNSw already knows about. (I forgot to see if these are permanently added as user waypoints. My guess is that that they are).

Anyway, I’m off to buy a new NavData card and will stick a label on it saying Flight Plan Datacard, whilst saving myself €234, less the cost of the label!

I’m not guaranteeing that the cheaper GNS W Navcard will work as a Flight Plan card on your GNSw, but hey, it works on mine.

NOTE: I have just discovered that Garmin has two types of GNSw 16Mb Nav Datacards : old black cards, and new orange cards. They need different readers. This makes things more confusing of course. I tested an old black datacard. I have now ordered a new orange datacard and will report back (groan).

Last Edited by Howard at 20 Dec 14:45
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

The Garmin FlightStream looks like a much better approach even though it is rather closed system at the moment, only supporting Garmin Pilot.

It’s bad to have to pay the sub for GP even if you don’t use the program at all, just to get data into the GTN box. And before that you have to transfer your validated IFR flight plan route into GP because GP doesn’t do any routing or indeed anything useful for IFR, AFAICT. It’s just another 100 quid or so a year, just for the interface to the panel mounted box.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, when i installed the 2 430Ws now (and connected the ADL120 to #1 aswell) … I thought about the Flightstream, but really I got enough subscriptions … if that was an open system so I could transfer my plans, ok … but like this. never.

@Howard: I find the whole setup to be inherently impractical. You need a PC and the hardware, transfer it, turn off the GNS, insert the card, turn on the GNS, transfer (and hope it actually works without too many locked waypoints), then turn off the GNS, insert the navdata card and turn it on again.

I’ve tried it once and concluded it’s nonsense and never used it again. I just put in the first 3 waypoints and the destination and then once in cruise, enter the rest of the waypoints.

The Garmin FlightStream looks like a much better approach even though it is rather closed system at the moment, only supporting Garmin Pilot.

I wonder if all this really saves much time, in the end. While I would still type in all waypoints some time ago, I now only put in the first three, because I’ll get a direct to some far away point anyway, in Germany that is. But I’ll have the original WP list on my kneeboard, so i recognize them.

Well… I tried it with a 430w/530w Navdata card…and it worked. I probably corrupted the Navdata on the card, but the migration software said that the migration to the Navcard worked. It didn’t format the card first so perhaps I now have a horrible mess on the card.

The next thing to try is to put the card in the right hand slot of the GNS device in my plane and see if the flight plan is automatically imported, as is meant to happen. (The procedure is to turn off the GNS device, remove the terrain card, insert the data card with the flightplan on it, and turn on the device and follow instructions on screen. Once imported turn off the device and swap back in the terrain card.)

I’ll report back once I have tried the above. Not sure when that will be given the ridiculous necessity to work some of the time instead of flying! If however it does work, Garmin might be embarrassed seeing as they sell the WAAS 16Mb Navdata cards for half the price of the supposedly necessary Flight Plan Data Card (link to 16Mb WAAS Navdata card Link to Navdata card vendor at €214! )

Howard

(For the record I also tried an old GNS430 (non-waas) navdata card and the migration software screamed : “Data card invalid. Insert a flight plan data card into the device. (We want a few hundred euro more from you cheapskate!)”

Last Edited by Howard at 22 Nov 21:10
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Howard,
sorry, I misunderstood the question … and I don’t know. Actually I should learn about that, it would be nice to load flight plans like that

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message