Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports, yellow jackets, security, etc

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If you have a French Languange Proficiency. If not, in places which have the FR only label, which most have after the staff are gone, watch out for a ramp check and massive hassle as a consequence.

Please, not again. That statement is just plain false. We have done that issue to death here and elsewhere, why do you keep spreading this misinformation?

The bit about the hassle may well be true.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Opening Times of Toussous for non-FR arrivals/departures are always published by NOTAM and it’s only every second MON or WED. All other days anybody from Schengen can fly there without any problems, and most times you don’t even pay a landing fee. Great airport with a very good restaurant.

All ist takes is to read the NOTAM.

I don’t think there’s ever been a reference to French language proficiency.

I’ve talked to toussus / dgac for out of hours authorisation and they just ask that you declare you can do the “self-information” in French. With a CAA licence you can’t even get French.
I
I think there are zero documented cases of the lack of language proficiency endorsement created such thing as even hassle, let alone trouble.
Lack of being able to speak French where/when you should is another thing but that’s normal

Is there any real safety case for yellow jackets at GA airfields?

In any visibility where you cannot see a person, you cannot taxi a GA plane, let alone take off or land.

Administrator

I think there is occasion, normally at night when the rain is bucketing down. Bright summer day – no.

PS. The EGKA attitude really narks me. One or two individuals take great delight in using the most belittling and condescending comments; there’s no need.

PPS. I’ve had a safety occurrence report raised on me at Gatwick for not having my hi-viz done-up at the front.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Outside Schengen (which is most of the world) airports without any police presence need PNR which is a hassle, or you cannot fly to them at all.

And the basis for this statement is ??? Within Europe that may be true, but if you’re talking about % of airports rather than % of geography, I don’t believe it.

In my experience it’s not true for the US and certainly not true for the vast majority of airports without any police presence in Canada (which is most of them). Many (most?) airports in Canada are open 24hr and require neither onsite presence nor PNR. Many have PCL so you can even come and go throughout the night without notifying anyone.

LSZK, Switzerland

I still don’t understand what a yellow jacket actually does at a GA airfield.

A plane, either taxiing or sitting there with the engine running, is not in a position to avoid somebody walking around, day or night.

So it is up to the pedestrian to do the avoidance, and wearing a yellow jacket doesn’t make him see better

Administrator

I get more worried about airfield vehicles.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message