Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is wrong with the Skymaster concept?

bat21 is a middling good movie which features the 02 Skymaster (looks like they used a civilian 337 with some Hollywood props department willy-petes under the wings).

Pity about the noise, strikes me as a good value near STOL IFR twin with solid 160 KTAS cruise.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In an earlier life I used to own a Reims-built 337P (2*225 hp instead of the 210 hp the US planes had)and loved it. That was in the early 90ies and

- I can confirm that this was noisy – ANR wasn’t available then and with the two-bladed props the noise is weird so that people at the airfield told me “I heard you come home last night”.. not the reputation you’re going for
- It handles like a big airplane – can’t confirm that it would be very nimble but then again it is a very stable and capable IFR platform. Being above two tonnes MTOW I took it to Munich “Franz-Josef Strauss” a few times back then but the downside are of course the airway bills. Also took her to Berlin Tempelhof after the wall had come down. Ah.. the memories..
- Mine was deiced so I never though twice about crossing the North Sea from Amsterdam to Edinburgh or Munich to Corsica at night.
- as this was my first twin I didn’t get a proper twin rating in my license because of the centerline thrust
- Pressurization is a big plus and every time I don my nose plugs I miss a cabin
- I am 6’6" and the cabin was roomy for me – no club seating though
- You are also incorrect assuming that the design is unique. Defiant

and here Do 335

which puts the 336/337 designator into a nice historical context ;)
(yes I am aware of the C335.. just saying)

So in short: if I could have one again that was more compliant with German noise acceptance, had a fuel flow of less than 100 liters/hour Avgas, would have a 1999kg version and if I had a capable mechanic I would have one in a heart beat. There is (was?) a Rocket Skymaster to “give away” at Wolverhampton some time back.

Regarding the O2 nothing beats the scene in “Apocalypse now” where the Forward Air Controller in the O2 directs the Napalm strike

..and it is true: the standard C337 POH mentions hard points under the wings for rockets

I mean: how cool is that?

arggh: back to work which makes for a rough landing..

EDLN and EDKB

Hi,
I am not afraid of maintenance with experienced engineers with expertise on type at my disposal, and I have an interest in sub 2000kg light twin options that can operate off shortish sub 600m grass strips. Without going into single V twin debate, I see two of the posters here Michael and MrFacts have flown the 337 variants and liked them. I have spoken to the owner of a 337G which is the exact model I really like and he has owned one since 1984 and loves it. He had Senecas, a Cougar and a Duchess but preferred the 337G. I understand the late model one is the desirable one and has most of the earlier issues sorted like the B suffix engines with heavier cases etc…. Has anyone else flown one? I am going to go to France and fly one next year to try it out. Hopefully when the Twin Com sells I can get serious about one.

There are not many sub 2000kg short field twins :-) I bought the Thompson book which details the Cessna 300 series development and can’t wait to digest it over Christmas.

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

I am going to go to France and fly one next year to try it out.

Where abouts ? I maintain two 337s in France and I know the owner of a third.

I found the 337 to handle almost exactly like the NA 210 I owned.

One of my client/friend owns both a Twin Turbo Comanche and a 337G – he prefers the 337G hands down.

He shot a video of him taking off from a short beach strip a few years ago – they were 5 onboard and I think the strip is just 500m or so ? I’ll see if I can’t find the vid.

Last Edited by Michael at 14 Dec 07:56
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Aaran Island

voici le video :

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

They may be a sleeper and appreciate due to the O-2 role in SE Asia, certainly a practical warbird.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=54871

A nicely maintained Riley Rocket 337P: can’t speak to the value, but 200 KTAS pressurised STOL (albeit with Cessna pizza cutter wheels), improved engine cooling for the Riley conversion, this is a practical IFR light twin.

You can buy non-pressurized piston twins in the US for sub-100k USD that are not noise limited. Even here the 337 is banned at quite a few airports (my homebase included) because these things are LOUD ! Nice – IMHO overpriced – airplane if noise is not an issue and you have a mechanic who knows how to deal with it.

Noise is definitely an issue with the 337 in Europe. But probably as much or more concern for an owner are cabin noise and maintenance expense. Most potential twin owners completely underestimate the operate/purchase cost ratio for twin aircraft.
Check this Avweb article

LSZK, Switzerland

A quite lovely pressurized Skymaster has just popped up on planecheck for a quite attractive price.

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=55639

planecheck_N119XU_55639_pdf

Someone has spent a lot of money for a really nice panel. Also the engines are very low time. And the price is not bad at all for what you get.

It needs work on the door seals, the weather radar and imho an upgrade of the AP from a Stec 20 to at least a 30. But with the price, that should not be too bad.

If I were in the market, I think I’d look at this one very carefully.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Mar 07:43
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message