Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is wrong with the Skymaster concept?

RobertL18C wrote:

This example has been stationary since around June 2022, not ideal.

this can happen… for various reasons. Happened to me after the prop strike. 9 flippin months before they could source a prop…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This example has been stationary since around June 2022, not ideal.

However, this example seems to be active.

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=54871

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 03 Mar 15:38
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Vref wrote:

It can operate below the 2T limit I checked that with eurocontrol a year or so ago when I was looking into this…which is exceptional….

I have to say, pressurised piston sub-2T twin in Europe – yes, please.

EGTR

It can operate below the 2T limit I checked that with eurocontrol a year or so ago when I was looking into this…which is exceptional….

EBST

@Mooney_Driver I agree, 200 KTAS at FL180, good short field performer and long range

The cons:

Noise certificate issues, and cabin noise
Heavy on maintenance
Despite centre line thrust EFATO safety record comparable to other MEPs
FL150-200 you get a lot of vectors in Europe (FL240 and above more direct), and you are in the weather
These baby turbos may get hot up high, not sure if they have intercoolers

A quite lovely pressurized Skymaster has just popped up on planecheck for a quite attractive price.

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=55639

planecheck_N119XU_55639_pdf

Someone has spent a lot of money for a really nice panel. Also the engines are very low time. And the price is not bad at all for what you get.

It needs work on the door seals, the weather radar and imho an upgrade of the AP from a Stec 20 to at least a 30. But with the price, that should not be too bad.

If I were in the market, I think I’d look at this one very carefully.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Mar 07:43
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Noise is definitely an issue with the 337 in Europe. But probably as much or more concern for an owner are cabin noise and maintenance expense. Most potential twin owners completely underestimate the operate/purchase cost ratio for twin aircraft.
Check this Avweb article

LSZK, Switzerland

You can buy non-pressurized piston twins in the US for sub-100k USD that are not noise limited. Even here the 337 is banned at quite a few airports (my homebase included) because these things are LOUD ! Nice – IMHO overpriced – airplane if noise is not an issue and you have a mechanic who knows how to deal with it.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=54871

A nicely maintained Riley Rocket 337P: can’t speak to the value, but 200 KTAS pressurised STOL (albeit with Cessna pizza cutter wheels), improved engine cooling for the Riley conversion, this is a practical IFR light twin.

They may be a sleeper and appreciate due to the O-2 role in SE Asia, certainly a practical warbird.

55 Posts
Sign in to add your message