Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

This is happening on the French aeroclub scene

Dp – ah thank you, yes I had noticed the optional maps but never felt the need. The included base map I find very good.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

grass runways

You mean flat putting greens?

I couldnt find Alioth’s post that you are referencing (or maybe I did but didnt quite follow the comments) but I think the Brits should organise a fly in to somewhere on the south coast where a really good lunch can be found for any Europeans that would like to see there is good food and easy to access airspace.

- where would I suggest – Goodwood, there is an excellent gourmet pub a few minutes away, a good all year airfield suitable for most types including light twins (albeit all grass runways) and far enough along the south coast to enable pilots to experience a few different air traffic services along the way, as well as much of interest at the airfield as well, including the probability of some track activity at an iconic circuit, a number of based Spitfires and other aircraft of interest.

alioth wrote:

Even in the Isle of Man we now have good food (it used to be worse than England).

We might take you up on that. Is there a decent pub lunch to be had within walking distance of Andreas or Garey?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I was wondering about the scale of the ones you gave as an example.

I think that 1:1M charts are probably not widely used because it would be too hard to depict the airspace in a manner easily legible in a cockpit, hence people using the 1:500k (and as said I don’t have issues with the I think fairly commonly used IGN ones)

The CAA charts are the ones I like the most, but that might be due to some bias because that’s the ones I learned with.

I think a lot of it is also being used to it. I personally dislike the US maps (sectional charts) but only have looked at them to do the PPL theory (which I ended up not using as didn’t go for full FAA PPL when CBIR was released) and for the Instrument Foreign Pilot test. I much prefer the CAA and IGN ones.
But… I never really took the time to get used to them. Never saw anyone complain so, rationally I have to assume they are probably good!

Peter wrote:

– example –

Is that a 1:1M map? I find the 1:500k IGN ones very readable, personnally. I don’t fly VFR a ton in france these days, but never bust controlled airspace / had any issue due to map misinterpretation. The one time I did, sadly I can’t blame the map and anyone else but me! (I wasn’t on any ATC frequency)

I’d be (genuinelly) curious to see how this would read in 1:1M

Aviathor wrote:

Peter wrote:
French GA airport food tends to be much better than UK GA airport food.
Again, lets not turn this into subjective comparative analysis of two countries. Otherwise we will end up with another war in Europe, which the EU was supposed to put an end to

I agree on subjective matters but re UK airport food it is surely objective. Res ipsa loquitur.

EGTK Oxford

Then you can cross the whole country almost in a straight line.

IME, you get easy ATC clearances through CAS (just as well since some of it cannot be deciphered – example ) but not necessarily through D R or P areas – example – and these need to be pre-planned / explicitly checked with ATC even if they did clear you on a straight line which passes through it.

That said, last time I did any VFR in France was just over 2 years ago and maybe today ATC can clear you through D R and P areas too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message