Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TMA/CTA definitions

Can somebody point me to the ICAO document that states the definitions of these airspaces?

I am particularly interested on the lowest possible limit of a TMA.

From my training I remember that Control Areas, which both TMAs and CTAs are, cannot begin lower that 700 feet AGL. However I cannot find this definition anywhere and the ICAO website is a jungle.

I have looked in Annex 2, Doc 4444 and Doc 8400.

ESME, ESMS

Annex 11, ch 2

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Thanks @atmilatos !

Here is the relevant text extract for those interested in the future:

2.10.3.1 Control areas including, inter alia, airways and terminal control areas shall be delineated so as to encompass sufficient airspace to contain the flight paths of those IFR flights or portions thereof to which it is desired to provide the applicable parts of the air traffic control service, taking into account the capabilities of the navigation aids normally used in that area.

Note.— In a control area other than one formed by a system of airways, a system of routes may be established to facilitate the provision of air traffic control.

2.10.3.2 A lower limit of a control area shall be established at a height above the ground or water of not less than 200 m (700 ft).

Note.— This does not imply that the lower limit has to be established uniformly in a given control area (see Figure A-5 of the Air Traffic Services Planning Manual (Doc 9426), Part I, Section 2, Chapter 3).

2.10.3.2.1 Recommendation.— The lower limit of a control area should, when practicable and desirable in order to allow freedom of action for VFR flights below the control area, be established at a greater height than the minimum specified in 2.10.3.2.

2.10.3.2.2 Recommendation.— When the lower limit of a control area is above 900 m (3 000 ft) MSL it should coincide with a VFR cruising level of the tables in Appendix 3 to Annex 2.

Note.— This implies that the selected VFR cruising level be such that expected local atmospheric pressure variations do not result in a lowering of this limit to a height of less than 200 m (700 ft) above ground or water.
ESME, ESMS
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message