Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to check marker beacon lights?

UdoR wrote:

OK then why are the marker beacons still in the Jeppesen approach charts if they are all shut down?

They haven’t all been shut down! But they are becoming rare beasts, being replaced by DME.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

PeteD writes:

There doesn’t seem to be any!

Although they are also predicated on the Kiel-Holtenau DME, I still think the OM and MM on the ILS 08 at KIEL EDHK are/were still active.
I recall them waking up, not just me, but my Marker system which I thought was long ago obsolete.
But when I was taught about them many years ago, I was told they act as a ‘Wake Up Call!’.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Why? There doesn’t seem to be any!
They are obsolete…. Like other previous nav aids over the last century.

Last Edited by PeteD at 14 Jun 21:29
EGNS, Other

You should have them checked on avionics annual check. You need signal generator, like Aeroflex ramp tester of similar.
Every avionics shop should have it.

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Yes, but it’s not necessary for the approach, as it has dme (mandatory) so it really doesn’t bring anything to the party, and, as you say, doesn’t work.
Maybe drop a report to jepps asking them to update the chart if it has been withdrawn. Seems the outer has been removed.

EGNS, Other

UdoR wrote:

OK then why are the marker beacons still in the Jeppesen approach charts if they are all shut down? It’s a bit annoying.

Here’s a screenshot (only the relevant portion for not to infringe copyright) of the approach chart of the ILS 08R in EDDP that I’ve flown recently. There’s a middle marker in the chart but it’s not working.

Last Edited by UdoR at 14 Jun 13:26
Germany

Hi,yes I agree! As Peter says, I think you’ll have to look fairly hard to find any of operational value.

I haven’t used them since the 90’s, and then they were supplemented by DME. (Mainly flying UK, with some Larger European airports),

Obsolete IMHO, probably best removed and binned as weight/drag saving effort!

Last Edited by PeteD at 14 Jun 13:08
EGNS, Other

OK then why are the marker beacons still in the Jeppesen approach charts if they are all shut down? It’s a bit annoying.

Have they all been shut down? Then I couldn’ care less.

I know that my system had been tested in 2020 and all was working fine. I’ve got the protocol. I just wanted to recheck that, because there’s no way to fly to places and check.

Germany

As per UdoR “ But I asked around and found out that the markers on actual instrument approaches that I’ve flown were actually shut down”. I rest my case ;-)

EGNS, Other

The OP is in Germany, which might have some, on ex US AF places like e.g. Ramstein.

Maybe Brize Norton? My intercom used to light up those lamps when I flew near or over Brize.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message