Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LA to Kansas City in the old Turbo Commander.

Adam,
Be really careful with the paint stripper, they are often methylene chloride. I have used a fair bit of stripper myself (with double gloves!!) mostly under fume hoods and with a respirator in well ventilated areas. Because the chemical is obviously quite strong, I have naturally been quite careful.

However, I have recently read a fair bit on this and it seems that some people are susceptible (for what ever reason) and end up being overcome by the fumes and dying. So now I would be double and triple careful, especially if stripping in a confined area.

Best of luck, stripping is an ugly job at best!

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Thanks – @Canuck
Yeah, I had doors open and hangar open, but I think I’ll have to install a fan inside the cabin to circulate air better. It was certainly nasty stuff and kicked my coughing from last cold back up again. Not sure if they were related, but seems like it?

Made it Tulsa today, Bumpy ride at 14000ft, and a headwind from hell. Did the ILS into TUL, screwed up the frequencies and switched to tower way too early by mistake. Thankfully, they were on it and gave me the clear for approach there. Very gusty landing.

Dropped her off at Autopilot Central (one of the few places left that can work on the antique Honeywell H-14) and now I’m airlining it back to LA. Of course, first flight delayed 2hrs, connecting flights delayed 3hrs. Doesn’t take long before you miss your own plane with airlines…

Departure at Kansas:

Here’s Beech Talk member Jeanne (who is an experienced ATP and instructor) and me on the Atlantic ramp at KMKC. She came by just to say hi because she used to fly Commanders. Nice lady.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 04 May 00:23
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message