Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LA to Kansas City in the old Turbo Commander.

Thanks – @Canuck
Yeah, I had doors open and hangar open, but I think I’ll have to install a fan inside the cabin to circulate air better. It was certainly nasty stuff and kicked my coughing from last cold back up again. Not sure if they were related, but seems like it?

Made it Tulsa today, Bumpy ride at 14000ft, and a headwind from hell. Did the ILS into TUL, screwed up the frequencies and switched to tower way too early by mistake. Thankfully, they were on it and gave me the clear for approach there. Very gusty landing.

Dropped her off at Autopilot Central (one of the few places left that can work on the antique Honeywell H-14) and now I’m airlining it back to LA. Of course, first flight delayed 2hrs, connecting flights delayed 3hrs. Doesn’t take long before you miss your own plane with airlines…

Departure at Kansas:

Here’s Beech Talk member Jeanne (who is an experienced ATP and instructor) and me on the Atlantic ramp at KMKC. She came by just to say hi because she used to fly Commanders. Nice lady.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 04 May 00:23

Adam,
Be really careful with the paint stripper, they are often methylene chloride. I have used a fair bit of stripper myself (with double gloves!!) mostly under fume hoods and with a respirator in well ventilated areas. Because the chemical is obviously quite strong, I have naturally been quite careful.

However, I have recently read a fair bit on this and it seems that some people are susceptible (for what ever reason) and end up being overcome by the fumes and dying. So now I would be double and triple careful, especially if stripping in a confined area.

Best of luck, stripping is an ugly job at best!

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Doing stuff yourself is wonderful, Adam. You make sure it is done right (by all means get some guidance at the outset, obviously) and you learn about your plane. You spot things which are coming up for fixing at some future service, too.

Also, in terms of total hours spent, most service/maintenance actions on a plane needs very little special skills. Just as well really when you look at some of the people who work in the industry

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Adam safe landings – no doubt Ted Smith smiles from above as you look after one of his creations.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No, all this stuff can get sorted out for sure with an open check book, but right now I’m just a little financially challenged and don’t want to drop her off at a new mechanic with all that entails and start the tab going. I decided I will do all the interior cabin seam and inspection panel sealing myself with PRC sealant. Firstly, then I know no stone gets unturned, secondly, the old insulation needs to come out anyway for the new interior, so it’s the perfect time to seal it as well, and thirdly, it’s kind of fun. I never worked much on my planes myself and it’s something I’d like to do more of. Let’s you get to know them and you can do things right and spend time on stuff you could never afford to do at a service center.

Also, some previous owner has caked the floor (which is pressure vessel) with some horrendous bondo-like compound. Probably in an attempt to stop floor leaking. All that stuff needs to get cleaned out (I already started on it and it’s a horrible job) and primed. Thankfully it responds to paint stripper and softens, but that stuff is nasty. Got some on my elbow and it felt like someone was holding a fire log to it!

Last day here in Kansas City, trying to get out tomorrow. Thunderstorms all night and forecasted hail, but thankfully Atlantic Aviation had a space in hangar, so they towed her in there. Didn’t ask the price yet, but I’m sure it will be a pretty penny… Supposed to clear up tomorrow afternoon. See if I make it all the way back or have to stop on the way.

Nice to see the Commander fly, even though there seem to be still a few issues to sort…

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Great to see your flying machine up and running !! I understand why you want to enjoy it despite some discrepancies :)
You seem to know her so well btw.
Stunning pictures of landscapes and panel !!

LFOU, France

Great! In a way, you’re not in Kansas anymore ;-))

Adam,

great to see you are finally flying, albeit with problems. It is really amazing that this stuff can’t get sorted out once and for all.

The fuel leak, you are probably right and again, that is something maintenance should have been aware of and prevented. So I guess it’s gonna be new bladders for you then…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The outboard tank fuel leak on one side I suspect developed because she’s been sitting for too long and the fuel bladders dry up and crack when there’s no fuel in them. Didn’t leak in August when I dropped her off, but now they do. They’re probably old and due for a change anyway, so maybe a blessing in disguise. I will tackle this next month.

Trip time was about 5.7 now in the air, maybe another 1.3-1.5hrs for refueling – so 7-ish hours? Flown direct could have prob done it in 4.7hrs.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message