Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overvoltage spike troubleshooting

Hello all,

We had once or twice the alternator got offline in cruise then back online after switch off then on.
It seems to be a spurious or not overvoltage protection.
To troubleshoot this intermittent failure, what could cause an overvoltage spike in the circuit? The alternator itself? The regulator itself? Any équipement? How?

Thank you
Thomas.

LFPE

AC type?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

SOCATA TB20 24V

LFPE

This may be relevant; it could be a duff regulator trip point.

Once the regulator trips, it stays OFF (alternator field current = 0 so no output) until you turn off the supply to it.

US Ebay

Is the aircraft voltmeter showing the correct 28.0V and with no obvious fluctuations?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The alternator circuit on a TB20 is self-contained – just the alternator and the regulator, there are no external signals that could trip it.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I agree, hence replacing the regulator would be the 1st thing.

However, if there was some funny load present which draws short high current spikes, which depress the bus voltage and cause the regulator to drive the field current to max, with a subsequent recovery being a bit too slow, that might also do it. How feasible this is to reach 32.0V, I don’t know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lots of electrical problems are due to loose connections. That’s where I’d start, and of course, don’t forget the ground path. Each connection and the connector should be carefully checked. Give them a good tug – they should hold a 4kg pull. Sometimes the connection inside the connector housing is bad. Using a multimeter can help, but probably won’t identify an intermittent connection. Best of luck!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Thank you for your replies!

Is the aircraft voltmeter showing the correct 28.0V and with no obvious fluctuations?

Generally yes, but just before tripping I have not had a chance to monitor this yet…

there are no external signals that could trip it.

So why is there an overvoltage protection feature?

However, if there was some funny load present which draws short high current spikes

We are currently replacing the ignition harness, a defect was found on one of the leads. Could this be linked by affecting the ground potential and triggering and overvoltage

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Thomas

Last Edited by TomTom at 16 May 19:42
LFPE

TomTom wrote:

So why is there an overvoltage protection feature?

Overvoltage can only be produced by the alternator-regulator system itself, and the protection circuitry protects the rest of the plane.

We are currently replacing the ignition harness, a defect was found on one of the leads. Could this be linked by affecting the ground potential and triggering and overvoltage

Ignition is not connected to the onboard electrical system. Electromagnetic interference from the ignition may sometimes affect the radio and other avionics, but is extremely unlikely to do anything to onboard power.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Overvoltage can only be produced by the alternator-regulator system itself, and the protection circuitry protects the rest of the plane.

Ok I see thank you. Could an alternator defect cause an overvoltage spike or the defect is necessarily in the regulator?

Ignition is not connected to the onboard electrical system

Yes I know but the shielding of the ignition leads are connected to the ground of the whole plane, aren’t they? What about lead defect that would cause arcing in the lead?

Thank you again.

Last Edited by TomTom at 16 May 21:07
LFPE
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message