Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Installing 1 x GNS430W in a G-reg

Yes – this must be the dumbest question!

But I don’t know the answer.

Somebody (who really should post the Q here ) asked me what is the procedure.

There is no EASA STC, is there?

Where can an installer buy the STC from?

There is some kind of autopilot too.

I know that hundreds or even thousands of GNS430s were installed in G-regs without any AFMS and these cannot therefore fly GPS approaches. Many were done totally off the books. This is not a good solution… I also know the GTNs have all this but that isn’t the Q I have.

I believe there is a 430 already in there but I would assume it was installed off the books like many “old” UK installs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Single 430W installation, approved for BRNav is an EASA Minor change, not an STC, even if autopilot coupled, provided it’s coupled in the same manner as a standard VOR/LOC installation. STC is only required if PRNAV or LPV is desired.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Who would install a GNS430W without wanting LPV?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What are the STC options?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have a 430W (box 2) and can fly LPV approaches with it. I’ll check my STCs but I’d be very surprised if it isn’t approved.

Of course I choose to use the 750 for LPV…

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Me. At present there are no reasonably priced 8.33 Nav/Com to replace my Narco 12d. And a Garmin. 430 would do it nicely. And as of yet I’ve never been to an airport that doesn’t have an ndb or ILS approach.

The STC to enable LPV is the one we created with the support of PPL-IR and covers pretty much any Part 23 aircraft fitted with a 430W or 530W.
So for the cost of a Minor change to get the 430W installed and a €300 STC to enable LPV and PRNAV, you get the maximum capability.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 28 Jun 20:32
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

The STC is here

huv
EKRK, Denmark
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message