Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Two different AI presentations - sky pointer or ground pointer

alioth wrote:

The brown bit and blue bit is far more intuitive for telling me which way “up” actually is.

This isn’t really a question of which way is up but whether the pointer going in the opposite direction can confuse you so you begin rolling back the wrong way (and increase bank angle instead of reducing it).

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

That’s the Yak18 right?

Looks like Yak-18T (18 is tandem two-seater).

Yes, the Yak 18 T , to be precise, the 18 , 18 A and 18 P were very different two seat types, more like the 52 but with different wings. A bit confusing, nobody knows why they did not pick another number for a very different four seat type in case of the 18 T . Vic

vic
EDME

I’m with Adam. I must be doing instrument flying wrong, to fly straight and level I make the aeroplane bars level with the line where the blue meets the brown. Alternatively I make the inverted V of the command bar meet up with the aeroplane bars.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil wrote:

to fly straight and level I make the aeroplane bars level with the line where the blue meets the brown.

Yes. But how do you do it when you need to fly that 45° banked turn during your checkrides? With the flight director bars disabled of course… In “my” plane at work, the only place where you can see the 45-degree mark is at the top border of the EADI. When applying corrections to the bank angle, I almost every time get it wrong, even after almost ten years on that plane (and 20 such checkrides…). During normal operation, exact bank angle ist mostly irrelevant so one can fly using the horizon line. I never ever get or got that wrong using the traditional mechanical AI during my annual checkride on the piston twin…

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Yes. But how do you do it when you need to fly that 45° banked turn during your checkrides? With the flight director bars disabled of course…

I just make it approximately right by the horizon part of the display, and look up at the top…just like you. I only really do such check rides on 2 types and they both have the same display.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Same here – I am aligning the horizon with the 45 degree line, or the 30 degree line for 60 degree bank turns, I don’t really use the top for these.

Looking at the top is what causes the problem – in a “commercial” display, you need to look at the triangle, which will be at 45 degrees on the side and the top tells you nothing, while in the GA display you need to look at the top.

In a “commercial” display you need to “pull” the triangle where you want it to be, in the GA display the triangle is fixed and you need to turn the other way round…

Biggin Hill

I hope I remembered this right (need to do a movie next time I fly) but this is what is confusing (annotation applicable to a left turn):

So if (like most GA) you are used to the top one, the bottom one is really weird.

The large horizon moves the same way in both instruments.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Almost, but not quite.

The bottom triangle is fixed in the GA version, while the bottom triangle moves in the “airliner” version.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 09 Dec 13:21
Biggin Hill

The arrows make it a very clear explanation (short of images with bank). From my desk, it’s actually unclear which one makes more sense (but obviously having consistency would be ideal!)

I was lucky-is as the technique I adopted early was to look at the center of the AI, and only use the top to fine-tune, so if confusion happens it is likely to be when tweaking the bank angle, not yanking the ailerons in the wrong direction in an unusual attitude.

Probably an accident, because I don’t remember specific training on this.

In fact, until this thread, I wasn’t even consciously aware of this, despite me flying a mix of EFIS and classical GA instruments for years, including a period of flying EFIS aircraft IFR while doing my IR renewals in a classic panel.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message