Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Two different AI presentations - sky pointer or ground pointer

All my AIs are GA type except in Saab 340. Even my coaster features GA type of AI

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don´t remember having ever referenced bank angle indicators during any upset recovery maneuver – in my entire career – nor have I received UPRT in doing so.
Probably done some 50+ of these events (all in full flight sims), EASA, FAA, plus.
I also don´t see any value in this indicator for the recovery assessment. G-load alleviation and lowering AoA – simply don´t load the wings (release back pressure/or push forward/or roll wings(level or bank)/Thrust(Power) manipulation)).
Full disclosure; I don´t (but perhaps should?) know which type of bank angle indicator my current (work) aircraft uses – It wouldn´t make any difference to me if it´s sky or ground or what ever it´s called – all I care about is having the indication available.

Last Edited by Yeager at 06 Jan 18:53
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

FlyingAppel wrote:

Also never had any problem finding the bank angle or recovering any unusual attitudes.

Of course people usually do. When the few cases where they don’t are more numerous with sky pointer. Read this study report. “Roll reversal errors on the commercial ADI were almost 5 times more frequent than on the other two ADI’s [GA and military].”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have flown both Boeing and the G1000 a lot and even the same day and i never noticed they were different.

Also never had any problem finding the bank angle or recovering any unusual attitudes.

EBZW, Belgium

The problem is when the horizon bar is close to the vertical or past it.

OK, I should have said, “the horizon bar and where the blue and brown bits are”.

On my French IR checkride we did the usual UPRT thing. When I opened my eyes we were certainly way past 60 degrees, close to a knife edge. I think you’r supposed to stop and think about it, but we were wings level (right way up) in a heartbeat.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

For unusual attitude recovery the only thing that matters (to me) is the horizon bar.

The problem is when the horizon bar is close to the vertical or past it.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Jan 12:12
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I couldn’t even tell you which type my plane has. For unusual attitude recovery the only thing that matters (to me) is the horizon bar. The value of the two needles is to tell you fairly precisely what your bank angle is.

LFMD, France

My two Sandels are sky pointer also. It’s no problem because the FD and the horizon are depicted identically.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To be honest I found it very difficult going from the PA44 to the Baron 58 which also had the flight director.
Took me a while to get used to it and had to keep reminding myself which way the brown was angled.

France

My humble guess is that one can go into the config menu of each ADI, and set the pointer to one’s preference.

PS
And the 1st thing I did to my G5, switch to my familiar sky pointer

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message