Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Missed Approach Buttonology on LPV and LNAV/VNAV Approach

Copied. Now i need some practical tests. Thank you, both!

On this procedure, you might get two SUSP. When there is a climb to altitude leg, some are coded to go back to SUSP, in which case you press OBS a second time when you have reached the altitude. Make sure you don’t press OBS unless you verify the SUSP annunciation.

KUZA, United States

Flyer59 wrote:

That means that I should press “OBS” after overflying the MS491 waypoint – or after reaching 3500ft.

Shouldn’t you press OBS only after reaching 3500 ft? Because if you press it overflying MS491 at a lower altitude than 3500 ft, the system will turn you towards MS492 at once which you don’t want – right?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, that’s right. If you do it below 3500 and before reaching MS491 you would make the turn too early.

Why disconnect the autopilot 100 ft above DA?

I wouldn’t worry about presetting IAS.

Arrest the descent, full power, pitch to normal go around pitch, clean up, unsuspend (suggest you do a practice missed at Straubing to confirm what your AP will do). Confirm in NAV and engage vertical mode as required. A/P on if that is what you want to do.

The button pressing is very implementation dependent so I suggest you just go out and try it in VMC

EGTK Oxford

Yes, Alt+VS is better than IAS, i’ll just set a VS of 800 ft/min. With IAS the autopilot might point the airplane down if you arrive at the MAP at a lower speed than the set IAS.

The key to this is pressing OBS at the right moment.

You are already in a vertical mode (tracking the GP). I wouldnt set any vertical mode until you go around. I assume the cirrus has no TO/GA button? In G1000 this goes to magenta and sequences into the missed automatically.

(But you still have to hit NAV and a vertical mode otherwise it stays in wings level and pitch GA modes for both).

Last Edited by JasonC at 15 Dec 08:18
EGTK Oxford

No, my Cirrus doesn’t have the TOGA button, the G5 does. It also has no vertical navigation. That’s why i will pre-select VS 800 in the autopilot on the way down. After reaching the waypoint OR 3500 ft I’ll just un-suspend by pressing OBS and NAV for the autopilot to fly the turn and the rest of the MA.

Flyer59 wrote:

That’s why i will pre-select VS 800 in the autopilot on the way down.

Is this what you will always do later on every approach? I’m not sure, but changing VS while I’m descending on a glidepath doesn’t feel right to me. If you just set the missed approach altitude, and on go-around press VS+ALT, it should set +500 fpm on the VS, right? Then you can let it pick up speed, retract flaps and change to IAS mode.

Flyer59 wrote:

I’ll just un-suspend by pressing OBS and NAV

I think if you fly an RNAV approach, your DFC90 should already be in NAV mode on the missed approach if you haven’t changed from APPR to HDG previously?

That seems to be the SOP of many Cirrus pilots. On the LPV approach you don’t need the VS feature, and when you press VS+ALT in the Missed Approach you have a climb rate of 800, which is better than 500, especially if you want to go to the 3500 ft (EDMS) quickly.

About NAV: You are probably right. If I am in “SUSP” mode then NAV should stay lit on the A/P and become active when i press OBS.

But have to try. As I said I have not flown a Missed Approach from an LPV with my new WAAS navigators yet …

Sign in to add your message