Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Smartphone or tablet as a back-up Attitude Indicator

the pitch tilt during longitudinal acceleration.

I guess I should invest in a much more powerful engine to exhibit this 8-)

Do you know what update rates they are using? I cannot imagine that the standard 1Hz NMEA rate could do much good...

LSZK, Switzerland

I've just heard from one of the big players in the AHRS avionics business about the need for GPS or airdata...

Apparently there is no absolute certification need for it especially for aircraft below 6000lb (in the USA) but it can be needed with some gyro designs to compensate for the pitch tilt during longitudinal acceleration.

So this could get quite detailed...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just read that remote control airplanes drivers use a product called zeal gel tape and use a mod called ...the Milton mod....to reduce vibration on gyros.....I think I will make a stole down to the local hobby shop and see if I can get some....it might just settle down the apple gyro....

Article found over at Ron's heliports south website

Kaeg

Zuke....my email is posted by profile....just send mounting pic there if you want.

Kaeg

If I can figure out how to send picture to site I will to show how it is mounted.

See Posting Tips, above the text entry box. Imgur.com is one easy site.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MEMS means "Micro Electro Mechanical Systems", and this technology can be used to build different sensors, such as gyroscopes

That's why i wrote MEMS Gyro chip :-)

Zuke here...pocket horizon pro has a switch in the program for the pilot to remove the gyro from the equation if it is misbehaving. Then the program runs strictly off gps. It is accurate but delayed as for the insteument to react to attitude changes requires a change in track...this takes time....so it is a delayed response. I like instantaneous results ....I think all pilots want that.

Does anyone know the best way to remove vibration from the instrument panel which transmits to the pod or pad or phone? I have tries soft foam backing,rubber grommets and Velcro . The results are dubious.

If I can figure out how to send picture to site I will to show how it is mounted.

Lastly.....the part number for the specific gyros vary between the pad...pod....and phone. Some are ad3..,ad4....ad8 in the pad. I don't know if there is any real difference but I do know calling apple tech support is a waste of time. Generally, I have found that the ipad gyro yield better accuracy than the pod but I don't know if that is just because it is a more massive body compared to the tiny ipod or if it is because I use a ram mount....suction cup....for the pad and the pod is directly mounted on the panel.

I have a friend that just bought a dynon d1.....what I want to do is Velcro it to the instrument panel next to the pod with pocket horizon.....then go fly.....and do a fly off and record with my video camera...then put on you tube.

Kaeg

Yes, but presumably transient acceleration is easier to measure than the constant 1g down

That seems to be the least of the problems. Acceleration sensors I've seen have low enough bias and the scaling is irrelevant since only the direction (and not its length) of the acceleration vector is used.

I think that the MEMS Gyro chip measures rotation from a plane, not acceleration, and combines that data with data from the accelerometer. Is that wrong?

MEMS means "Micro Electro Mechanical Systems", and this technology can be used to build different sensors, such as gyroscopes, linear acceleration sensors, pressure sensors, microphones... ST Micro and Analog Devices are two manufacturers of MEMS devices with a large portfolio of devices

LSZK, Switzerland

The gyros on model helicopters are only for stabilisation. Even with them, a model won't fly hands off for more than a few seconds. It's true that model helicopters can have high levels of vibration , but it tends to be at a higher frequency than for full-size aircraft which makes it easier to dampen, though it can still be an issue. The cheap gyros have a bad reputation - the last one I bought (admittedly a few years back) cost > £200.

There are autopilots with auto-leveling but they normally have other inputs e.g. infra-red horizon detection and GPS.

I think that the MEMS Gyro chip measures rotation from a plane, not acceleration, and combines that data with data from the accelerometer. Is that wrong?

54 Posts
Sign in to add your message