Which acronyms do you use

Quite useful inputs.
Will for sure recall FUCK FREDA short and easy to remember
I am still wondering what are the elements of

BUMPFITCH
are…

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Correct spelling is the key to a lot of information… it is not BUMPFITCH but rather BUMPFFITCH. A little web search brings a plethora of explanations, the below one might suit you especially, perhaps For me the French “trois P” seems easier to memorise than “red/blue/3 greens”, for one example.

http://forum.aeronet-fr.org/viewtopic.php?t=30098

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I use a checklist. These mnemonics don’t work for me either. The planes I fly are easy enough to operate without remembering all these funny stuff.

When I have some spare time, I just scan the panel and make sure everything is all right.

One funny thing about these mnemonics is that allegedly they come from the military aviators. Yet at every military airfield (at least in my part of the world) you have to report and confirm “gear down and locked” before you get your landing clearance. So it looks as if they don’t really believe in their own BRRFFBLAH

EDDS - Stuttgart

In France ATC asks for gear check. The pilot must press a button that emits a noise over radio, only if gear is locked. Still, it doesn’t prevent all accidents!

I check GUMPS as a backup on final, after running through checklists as appropriate. On my very simple plane I also use CIGARS before takeoff because it covers everything that I have on the checklist.

what_next wrote:

One funny thing about these mnemonics is that allegedly they come from the military aviators. Yet at every military airfield (at least in my part of the world) you have to report and confirm “gear down and locked” before you get your landing clearance.

My favorite mnemonic is this one, told to me by a former Pensacola T-28 Instructor, for use during an overhead break to landing:

Flop (bank and pull G to slow down)
Chop (close throttle as appropriate)
Prop (max rpm)
& Drop (flaps and gear)

Soon after the plane is on the ground.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Sep 21:28

jfw wrote:

I am still wondering what are the elements of
BUMPFITCH

As far as I remember BUMPFITCH was the downwind check and went something like brakes, undercarriage, mixture, pitch, fuel, instruments, trim, carb heat (But this one was promoted to first and left on until checks complete) Hatches and harnesses.

I must not be a real pilot….I use and remember plenty of mnemonics….

BUMMFFPPCHH downwind
GUMP final
FISH crash
FCMIT engine problem
CRAP short final
FREDA enroute
CAPHAD calling radar
CARPACER calling info
Lights, Camera, Action when entering rwy
Etc…

After nearly 25 years they are burned into my memory…many items are redundant, depending on the airplane…but I’d rather say Undercarriage unnecessarily than forget it one day….or Carb heat..

Checklist for startup and run up only…..but that’s just me…I don’t get the almost religious anti-mnemonic sentiment here…mnemonics suit the way the human brain works…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 29 Sep 02:47
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

mnemonics suit the way the human brain works…

Not mine and not the brain of many others, but if it works for you, everything is fine.

For me, if I have a sensible flow check in the aircraft I fly, I can remember everything much faster and more accurate than acronyms and the flow is fit for the plane I fly (e.g. no gear, prop, mixture checks in the Sperling or no carb heat in the Lake…)

Long paper lists are for the ground and to recall a flow if necessary, short abbreviated lists as a plackard work very well for me.

Last Edited by mh at 29 Sep 07:02
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Ahh, the joys of operating a simple machine, VFR. Probably just as well for my brain doesn’t seem to work with acronym mnemonics (or acronyms in general) so I would forever be trying to remember what the ‘F’ or the ‘A’ stood for. Nor did it make any sense to me when learning to fly that there was, for example, a check for ‘undercarriage down and locked’ in a fixed gear trainer and the nonsense of that sort of thing rather put me off persevering with such ‘aids’, but each to their own.

My aircraft has a single fuel tank with a float and wire indicator out front, no variable prop, no carb heat, no mixture, no gyros, no electrics, no flaps, single ignition and a parking handbrake. So if it’s making a noise up front and the oil pressure is normal then it’s probably OK. It does however have a retractable gear and that’s the one thing I do have to verify before landing. And yes, I am one of those who ‘have’.

Sign in to add your message