Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which acronyms do you use

T-LAR
T That
L Looks
A about
R right

Well, then, there’s also one for diagnostics of complex avionics, WTFIIDN (What The * Is It Doing Now)

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

BUMPFFAILDH – this is what I learned as downwind checks on an Arrow:

Brakes (off)
Undercarriage (Down)
Mixture (rich)
Prop (forward)
Fuel – fullest tank, pump on
Flaps – first stage
Alternate air – off
Indications – Ts & Ps green
Landing light – on
Doors – closed
Harness – secured (seatbelts)

Hasell I also extend with:

Height – sufficient to recover
Airframe – clean
Security – loose objects secured
Engine – Ts & Ps good
Location – free of
A – airspace
B – built up areas
C – control zones
C – Clouds
D – Danger Zones
Lookout – two clearing turns.

When flying the Arrow I would also use Reds, Blues and Greens turning onto final and when on final, call “Final, 3 green” whilst checking the lights. Some airfields which knew I was flying a retractable would call ‘check gear’ if you called Final and didn’t follow up with 3 green…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 01 Oct 17:43
EDL*, Germany

I don’t use any. I follow ‘flow’.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

I don’t use any. I follow ‘flow’.

I tried that once, got a bollocking when doing a check flight because I wasn’t following a ‘clearly defined checklist’. An acronym was accepted as an alternative for a paper checklist but a flow wasn’t…. go figure…..

EDL*, Germany

during the skill test or during a biannual training flight? On the ground or in the Air.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

during the skill test or during a biannual training flight? On the ground or in the Air.

On the ground, during approval check flight to rent an aircraft from a 3rd party (not biennial review) whilst setting the switches / gauges as part of the pretaxi checks; The instructor wanted either a) a checklist to be followed or b) an acronym. This was whilst I was flying an Archer 3 and later in the flight I also made the mistake of completing my after landing checks without referring to the checklist but using a flow from bottom to top…..

EDL*, Germany
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message