Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The similarities between and aircraft and a horse

I used to have a horse-owning wife so I got a thorough exposure to both sides of this

• parking options are limited (controlled by landowners in both cases)
  • rabbits dig holes which can cause expensive damage to landing gear
  • both should ideally be hangared
  • hangarage is hard to find, and needs planning permission to construct
  • both can suffer from “hangar rash” (people moving aircraft, or passers-by offering sweets to one horse and not to another)
  • both have expensive maintenance (for obvious reasons, horse maintenance is done by much better looking guys )
  • both can have long term problems due to neglect in years long gone
  • owners of both are totally passionate, and take a lot of photos showing the same thing over and over
  • if something bad happens, it is 100% drama
  • both are supported by a raft of magazines whose content is the same drivel every month
  • a training industry has grown up around both
  • usually, the spouse takes no interest, but the intelligent ones are happy that the other one has some hobby
  • both drive the selection of a house (one with a large field next to it)
  • both involve a certain amount of bitching between owners in the same hangar

Anything I left out?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter and I thought you were making a reference to Langewiesche’s favourite metaphor in Stick and Rudder

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Anything I left out?

A horse would be great if you could switch it off and take the key out, that’s the big difference

Peter wrote:

Anything I left out?

Depending on how you look at it…. I am glad I don’t have to pick up behind my airplane… yet others would lament that what my airplane might drop occasionally in little droplets is not quite suitable for fertilizing strawberry fields….. this is where horses may come in handy.

I prefer whipped cream anyway.

But maybe the one similarity those of us who have known a partner with a passion for horses can fathom what our spouses go through with ours for aviation.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Jul 00:47
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Anything I left out?

For both first time owners think that purchase is expensive until they figure out that it is only a tiny down payment on total cost of ownership.

Germany

Horses are more like motorcycles.

Except a motorcycle where the brakes occasionally seize and it will not move forward under any circumstances.

And other times where the brakes fail and the throttle gets stuck wide open.

Peter wrote:

both should ideally be hangared

Although we frequently bemoan the cost of flying, at least whilst our plane is hangered and underused – sometimes for long periods of time due to Covid, weather etc. – it doesn’t require feeding/fueling then: The daily commitment & feeding cost for maintaining a horse can be astronomical.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Although we frequently bemoan the cost of flying, at least whilst our plane is hangered and underused – sometimes for long periods of time due to Covid, weather etc. – it doesn’t require feeding/fueling then: The daily commitment & feeding cost for maintaining a horse can be astronomical.

It does need to be serviced and ran regularly or otherwise put into storage properly. Both is also not inexpensive. Airplanes left to sit in a hangar or worse outside due to longer times of not flying, may also develop very expensive issues.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

due to longer times of not flying, may also develop very expensive issues.

Agreed. But a plane does not require a daily visit or feed.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

With a horse, you can choose: you either go there once (or twice) a day, or you pay someone (known as a “stable girl”) to look after it (“full livery”) which then costs quite a bit and easily more than hangaring a plane.

The facilities for this are a most powerful driver behind choosing a house, because obviously you can’t just get it “around the corner” in most places. But before that you need to have a stable source of funds

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message