Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

Just arrived. Taking a taxi in to hotel calvi and will join at cappuccino.

Oh yeah. I will have a bright red cap that says “Albania”!

Last Edited by Aviathor at 05 Sep 15:18
LFPT, LFPN

Cappuccino opens at 19H….we are next door at Cafe de l’orient….I have my Swedish shirt on

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Just landed.

Please don’t taxi under power on the sandy surface. It is horrible. It makes a massive cloud of dust which scratches windows perfectly. Everything gets covered in it.

Best to tow the plane manually on this surface.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Corsica is awesome – a great location.

It was great to see everyone tonight, and sorry we didn’t make it there until too late.

Albenga was fine for a refuel, and apparently the website instructions which imply that one cannot fly there IFR without passing the website test are wrong. But the minimum cloudbase required for the “cloud break” approach is such that there is nothing gained by flying it, over descending over the sea and flying in VFR.

Administrator

Restaurant for tonight – Le Ricantu tel 04 95 65 02 46. Booking made for 2000 local (Peter and others). Please join us!

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

We finally ended up in Figari, no means to come to Calvi today due to fuel restrictions.
But they delivered 100l without problem. The general aviation apron is empty except 2 German cirrus and our TB.
The flight along the coast was great.
Enjoy Calvi all!

LFNR

http://m.ovi.me/BFUdLSQRhpoU?z=14&hc
20260 Calvi
France

Tonight’ restaurant

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Sep 17:06
Administrator

A few pics from what will be a much longer trip for me and dublinpilot, going all the way to Greece after Corsica.

The first part of the flight Shoreham to Calvi, at FL100

Some buildups over the Alps – we had to climb to FL190; actually made only FL189 but due to the warm air (about ISA+15) we were at about 19500ft

Light icing in the descent, as expected when the OAT rose through around +5C

We cancelled IFR over the sea and descended into Albenga. It turns out that the stuff on their website which implies that IFR approaches need the website test is incorrect and we could have gone in there IFR. Final for Albenga

Then a short VFR flight to Calvi, to VRP called “IR” which as usual can be located only with a GPS Left hand downwind for Calvi

Final

Filed route (purple) and flown route

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Sep 04:53
Administrator

I will unfortunately not be able to make it tonight. I ran into my aunt and uncle who happen to stay at the same hotel that I have not seen in a long time… Will make it up tomorrow.

LFPT, LFPN

Back in the UK after an interesting trip, more later. Really enjoyed meeting you all. Spent 20 minutes at the hold at Calvi behind a French Piper (reading the manual?) while a Cirrus was doing the equivalent of donuts on the grass/sand parking area!

Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message