Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A fantastic trip to France and Spain

How would a non-pilot ever find and read this forum?

People with an interest in aviation will find their way this forum.
Before I started the PPL, I was occasionally reading Pprune, Flyer, and other pilot forums.
I don’t remember how I found these websites, but I knew them

It would be interesting to see how much % of the active users of the autorouter have an EuroGA account, but never post.
That are most probably sim pilots. My guess would be that 80% of the Sim enthusiasts would love to start flying in real life, but have in their mind that it is out of reach (too expensive, too difficult, wife doesn’t allow it, etc).

Since it’s a gradual process, experienced pilots tend to not be aware of how far they have evolved from the basic, plain-vanilla PPL holder.

It took me about 50 hours after getting the PPL to be comfortable flying VFR abroad.
One has to get familiar with the modern tools not included in the PPL syllabus, but which make life a lot easier (like usage of the autopilot, GPS, Skydemon, weather sites like Orbifly, etc).
Once you know how to fly Lelystad – Le Touquet, you can also fly Lelystad – Costa Brava.
It just takes longer…

Based on our agreed budget, the trip (weather permitting) will probably take us somewhere within a 600-700NM radius or so … I’m very excited about this. Anyone thinking this is overly ambitious or just about the right thing? Any other input/warnings etc. all welcome.

No it is certainly not over-ambitious. Just plan it carefully and go! Stick to your minima.
Make sure you’re talking to a FIS unit while enroute. Accept that everyone make mistakes.
I am always struggling finding my way on a large controlled airport, for example
Don’t stress a landing → If it doesn’t look right after the turn to final, just go around…
Feel free to ask any planning questions on this forum!

It would be interesting to see how much % of the active users of the autorouter have an EuroGA account, but never post.

The vast majority… I guess many are simmers but also most pilots don’t post on forums.

Once you know how to fly Lelystad – Le Touquet, you can also fly Lelystad – Costa Brava.
It just takes longer…

Absolutely so. So what stops people? I think many do think longer trips are mysteriously more complicated. But the biggest thing has to be the cost which, especially if you are renting and thus face the fully loaded hourly cost, is very high.

However I also found that the ability to go IFR was a big help with VFR trips. I had the IMC Rating which doesn’t entitle you to do IFR outside the UK but it did entitle me to fly VFR above a solid overcast (which back then was supposedly illegal) which made a huge difference, and the general ability to radio-navigate gives a lot more confidence. And if you have a bit of a cloud encounter you won’t kill yourself… it is almost impossible to do long VFR trips without popping into a bit of cloud, IME.

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Jul 10:41
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But the biggest thing has to be the cost which, especially if you are renting and thus face the fully loaded hourly cost, is very high.

Long trips are pretty much precluded for renters. It’s not just the hourly cost but daily minimums so going away for a week becomes even more expensive.

In my case a huge amount of my costs are fixed and will have to be paid whether I fly it or not. The incremental cost of flying an hour isn’t all that much. So ownership kind of encourages you to fly more to somehow justify the fixed costs!

Andreas IOM

Just wondering how many new pilots will start their PPL by reading trip reports like this…

me…
This is going to sound a bit corny, but about 2ish years ago I stumbled across Peter’s trip reports and I thought… ‘hmm, what a wonderful way to travel around! Why isn’t everyone doing it?’ Few months of research later, I booked my first 1hr flight. I wasn’t hooked at all. Actually I was almost sick during that flight (it was really gusty). I gave it another go at another airfield and slowly I started to love it. It also started to dawn on me that to get to a level equal Peter’s trips it’s gonna take loads of experience and a hell of a lot of money. Abt a year after my first lesson I got my ppl and few weeks ago I even made it as far as to Le Touquet, with another guy from this forum. Of course I’m still learning and it will still take a while until I can get anywhere close to this level of flying, but that is still the target!

Moral of the story… don’t under estimate the influence trip reports like this have on non pilots.

That’s a great story

Absolutely so. So what stops people? I think many do think longer trips are mysteriously more complicated. But the biggest thing has to be the cost which, especially if you are renting and thus face the fully loaded hourly cost, is very high.

Indeed. When I did VFR to La Rochelle from the UK, it was something like 4 hours non-stop, and the flight was no more complicated than the same flight to Le Touquet. What does become more complicated is using, purchasing and understanding national VFR charts (and least in the UK, the usual places like L2K, Cherbourg etc are on the UK NATS Chart). Plus there is a wider range of METAR’s and TAF’s to consider when confirming the weather will be compatible with license / skills for the outbound, and return leg. If you get half way into a 1 hour flight, turning back and going home isnt an issue if need be, if you are half way into a 5 hour flight and you have weather or other issues, then you better know your diversion options, and how to deal with the local police if you havent yet cleared customs/immigration.

Having a high performance – specifically I would say long range – aircraft is a very big help, because you aren’t stopping for fuel every 2-3 hours.

This is very true if you are limited in time, and want to get somewhere quick. But any touring aircraft will get you there.
Aeroplus from this forum flew with a standard PA28 from The Netherlands to South Africa and back, see http://acrossafricachallenge.com

Long trips are pretty much precluded for renters. It’s not just the hourly cost but daily minimums so going away for a week becomes even more expensive.

Renting isn’t necessarily a bad thing. For example this German association charters C172’s for 94EUR/h wet, and PA28’s for 105EUR/h wet. You need a serious IFR tourer? A C182TR costs 179EUR/h. There are some extra costs involved, like a yearly contribution of 280EUR, and 7% tax, but all in all quite cheap. There is a Dutch pilot who does large trips with these rentals.
@Rhino: They’re located in Paderborn-Lippstadt EDLP, a convenient airport apparently not far from where you live? You might give them a call and see if they have a C172 available for your planned trip…

@Rhino: They’re located in Paderborn-Lippstadt EDLP, a convenient airport apparently not far from where you live? You might give them a call and see if they have a C172 available for your planned trip…

Thanks, lenthamen! It’s too far for the regular weekend flights in the local area, but I’d drive out there for any longer trip if they are as good as they seem. Their rates are spectacular and the fleet looks pretty good, too. I sent them a message…

If they bill actual flying time, I currently pay almost twice as much. If they bill block time, they will still be somewhat cheaper.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Just to add a little bit of information from a far away place… I’m currently in China and on a domestic flight the inflight magazine had several pages with articles about flying your own aircraft. One was about a guy who built his own airplane (pictures showed an UL). Another about a helicopter pilot. And a third showed an airline pilot in what looked like a Cirrus. All the people in the articles are Chinese flying inside China. The message of it all was: be interested in taking to the skies.

Frequent travels around Europe

(thread revival alert)

Bosco, LESL is without PPR right? You just filed and went? If weather allows I’m thinking about giving it a shot this weekend.

Thanks!

Sign in to add your message