Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A fantastic trip to France and Spain

Yes, absolutely no PPR. Just make sure there are no strange NOTAMs and go.

Taxi number and other details here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Super, danke.

I’m just wondering whether I should stop somewhere in France for Customs and then fly on, or just play dumb.

Also, let’s face it: in order to be able to do trips like this one, one needs a) a capable (read: expensive) aircraft and b) lots of experience

Now you are going to scare the newly minted pilots away

I do not agree. It is only a question of attitude. I did not have that much experience when I set off on a trip from Oslo through Sweden, Denmark, Germany to Reims, Bordeaux, Cosnes, Toussus and back north.

What it took was familiarization with the various countries’ particularities thanks to the Jeppesen-Bottlang manuals. The plane was a PA28R. VFR only. None of us (2) had done such a trip before. We had to spend an extra day in Paris due to weather, and one in Liege for the same reason. The whole trip took 10 days including a few nights in Bordeaux and a visit to Le Bourget air show.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Apr 11:47
LFPT, LFPN

I toured the Caribbean in a PA 28 so you don’t exactly need a very expensive plane if you have enough time :-)

Aviathor,

please read my remark in the full context.

Of course one can fly all over Europe in almost any kind of aircraft. And of course one can do it right after getting ones license.

What I was saying is that in order to fly from Northern Germany all the way to the Baleares and to three other destinations in France, all in one week, and still have the time to explore the places there, you need a fast airplane. In a 172, you would have been flying almost all the time, and the rest of the time, you would have spent on the ground doing fuel stops.

The remark about needing lots of experience and routine was about being able to make the flying become a marginal aspect of the trip. Landing without being exhausted from all the new experiences and unforeseen things that happened during the day.

Boscomantico

I do not agree with that either. I think the speed of SR22 vs C172 or PA28(R) is way overrated unless the leg is really long. In a C172 the pleasure just lasts a little longer. Look at what others are doing in a Cub.

But anyhow, thank you for this very nice, and inspiring trip report .

LFPT, LFPN

FWIW, what totally transformed my ability to go places, starting with this trip (and one before, in 2003, to Biarritz which I never wrote up) was absolutely certain navigation – using a moving map GPS all the way, end to end.

It avoided the ridiculous PPL-taught map reading business with which I would have never dared to go beyond the Shoreham-Lydd kind of run, along the coast.

But back then it was difficult. I paid a scanning bureau several hundred GBP to scan various charts (mostly Jepps, US ONC for Greece and such) and they ripped me off by 10x because they could see the stuff was copyright and that I would pay “anything”. Then I ran the scans under Oziexplorer.

Nowadays you just use one of the several moving map apps

The aircraft is less important, but you need to trust it. If you have constant hassles (as I did in 2002) that also has a corrosive effect.

So I think

• navigation
  • trustworthy aircraft

are the two big things.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m just wondering whether I should stop somewhere in France for Customs and then fly on, or just play dumb.

I would not play dumb.. Even if you fall through the cracks at your point of departure, while on approach to Menorca you’ll be in touch with an approach frequency and/or Mahon tower and they will know and send you to the main field. That will set you back around 150 euros (obligatory handling)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Indeed, there are many easy customs/fuel stops in France that will cost you less than 25 minutes ground time. On your route, Beziers comes to mind as a totally perfect place. Montpellier just the same.

Did you depart yet?

Agree with Beziers for a Fuel stop, very fast turnaround – its an Air BP machine so much quicker if you have the card

also unusually they ask for PPR, emails to [email protected] are very quickly returned.

‘PPR compulsory from AD Managing authority (SM) 4 HR mini before estimated
time of arrival or departure and latest 1 HR before OPS closure.’

Alternatively Carcassonne now have fuel available to visiting aircraft on weekends and public holidays only, no PPR required, full customs etc…

This strange restriction is due to the location of the Air BP pump (you must have a card to use this ) on the apron of the local ENAC training school, and can only be used when they are not active (go figure!)

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR
Sign in to add your message