Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prague Fly-in May 1-3 2015

Hm. Apologies. I checked the CZ AIP*, and pronto:

All of that looks good, very good, indeed.
And yes, to have public transport so near is nice – but then I can proudly say that EBAW and EBOS have that too, though only by bus.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

For me it’s customs and prop clearance. Some reports of those gras runways are scaring me sufficiently to prefer concrete. And neither of them have customs, which means I’d have to calculate an intermediate stop which, together with the costs to getting into the city from the GA fields, will drive the price up. So in the end, is it worth the hassle of taxis, grass runways and no customs over a simple non stop flight which in the end costs 10-20 euros more and which has public transport for cheap into the city.

Edit: I just see that LKLT actually has customs pn24 hours. So if those runways really are ok also for Mooneys, then I’ll need to reconsider.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 01 Oct 12:27
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

We went to Vodochody LKVO and it was a good experience.
Very friendly and helpful staff, LPE level 6…

I’ve spoken to them about the fact that they’re now closed during weekend. The guy felt sorry about that; he said that it was a management decision to cut costs.
They pre-arranged a taxi which picked us up right at the apron. Taxi ride to the City Center was about 30EUR.

They can arrange customs upon request.

Both arrival (via GOLOP 1Z arrival, then vectors to ILS) and departure (an initial heading after takeoff, followed by radar vectors) where painless.

We paid a total of 1704CZK (62EUR) for a PA28, 3 POB, one night parking.

I can recommend a tour with Segways as a group event. We did a guided tour in the region where the Castle is, and we really enjoyed it!
15 minutes practise, followed by a 1hr ride. Riding downhill felt a bit unnatural at first, as you need to lean back. But it’s amazing how quickly you get used to it :-)

OK, I will work on say the first weekend in May 2015 for Prague.

I think Prague will work because

• it is a scenic place with something for everybody
  • people who are happy with grass will go to Letnany
  • people who want IFR and tarmac and are happy to take a risk on opening times can go to Vodochody
  • people who want IFR and tarmac and no hassle and can pay €200 can go to Ruzyne

I guess most will go to Letnany.

It doesn’t matter where people go because this isn’t an “airport fly-in” and we will meet up somewhere in town. The Charles Bridge is a reasonable place Or one could throw a challenge and do the Stalin memorial

The food won’t be up up to the standard of Losinj or Corsica and neither will be the water temperature but you can’t have everything

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have to say that one of my best meals ever was sauerkraut, dumplings with duck breast in cumin. Just fantastic.

Peter,
Any particular reason to go for early May?
Summer would give us a better chance of good weather, particularly relevant for the VFR pilots among us.
Interested to join..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

That’s a good point, Aart. I can’t help feeling that another meetup further South will be proposed for September 2015, but it might indeed be nicer to VFR pilots to swap the events. The Adriatic will be nice in May too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes, I think two a year are much better than one. The two in 2014 (Losinj and Corsica) were great meetups. Most pilots can make two fly-ins a year and it gives us twice the chance to get together.

Obviously I am open to suggestions, but my feeling is that the middle of the summer is less good because

• many people have their summer holidays then
  • anybody with kids probably can’t make it
  • almost everything costs so much more – due to “mid season” and due to “school holidays = rip them off”
  • many locations are very hot

I am not sure that mid summer is statistically better weather than May or September. Maybe it is, but it isn’t my experience from 2002 onwards.

We could do the Adriatic in May and Prague in September, etc… As I say I am open to suggestions, but somebody has to make a decision and push it forward.

As regards locations, having discussed it with many of you face to face, there is overwhelming support for scenic locations which have a lot to offer to everybody (which means both men and women ). So I really want to continue that, because it so obviously works.

Administrator

OK…

With no more input on this one I am setting the May 2015 EuroGA fly-in to Prague to

• May 2-3, or
  • May 9-10

Any preferences?

Administrator

May 1 is a public holiday in some countries, so that might be an argument for the first option.

In contrast, May 10 is Mother’s Day at least in Germany and respectfully a No-Go for a weekend away in my case.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message