Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portoroz LJPZ (Piran) Meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015

Great pictures. I’ll add this place to the list of future destinations for a trip down the Adriatic.

LFPT, LFPN

I returned to Zagreb yesterday evening to find shitty weather back home. I planned to file VFR plan but latest check before takeoff showed some development in wider Zagreb area so luckilly I filed Z plan. Landed through TCU, some heavy rain on approach and ceilings lower than 2000 ft – nothing dangerous or critical but hardly feasible VFR without large detour.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don’t think you all will still be in LDSB on 11/9?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

The Croatian coast.

We will fly to Athens on 9 September.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think you all will still be in LDSB on 11/9?

Hi Vieke, I plan to fly to the Adriatic later this week with my wife.
Rough planning:
9 sept: EHLE-LJPZ
10 sept: LJPZ-LDSB
11 sept: LDSB
12 sept: LDSB-LOWK
13 sept: LOWK-EHLE

Good to know I have managed to drag a few more people down here

Here is Mali Losinj, from 3000ft, in case you need help with finding it again

This is “so Croatia”

A floatplane followed us in. Split Radar was doing separation. Eventually we got it on TCAS and finally we got visual

There is nobody in the tower at Brac (most days) so we flew over it to check the windsock and then flew back out over the sea and came in on 04.

Final for Brac LDSB runway 04

On the ground, everything was super efficient as always.

Parked up… AOPA members get 50% off and every 3rd aircraft gets free everything. The total I will report on.

Apparently the reason why Brac is threatened with closure is because it is surrounded by a vineyard whose owner wants it shut, but the politicians have over-ruled it. They are building airports on some other islands so they don’t want to close this one.

Administrator

Administrator

Peter, looks like a great location. I will keep it in mind for the future.

EGTK Oxford

lenthamen wrote:

Hi Vieke, I plan to fly to the Adriatic later this week with my wife.
Rough planning:
9 sept: EHLE-LJPZ
10 sept: LJPZ-LDSB
11 sept: LDSB
12 sept: LDSB-LOWK
13 sept: LOWK-EHLE

Hi Lenthamen,

Nice, we will be there too! Maybe we can meet-up for drink. :-)

Our planning (also weatherdependent) will be:
10/9 EDKA – LIPV
11/9 LIPV – LDSB
12/9 LDSB – LGAV
13/9 LGAV – LGTT (10min)
14/9 LGTT – LGZA
16/9 LGZA – via Samos to Istanbul (prob LTFJ or LTBU)
19/9 LTFJ – LGKR
21/9 LGKR – LFKC
22/9 LFKC via LSZA to EDKA

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Mainland Croatia, from Supetar

The harbour… a boat here is mandatory

Another view of Brac airport, on what would be right base for 04. After Split asked for a descent to 1500ft, we had to climb to 2700ft (1000ft AAL) to land at Brac

If you have a lot of wind when approaching on 04, you can obviously expect the wind to flow downwards off that cliff, so a shallow approach is not the greatest idea

For a short stay on Brac, say 2 nights, Bol (the place at the bottom of the cliff in the pic right above) is better than Supetar because it is close to the airport and is a really scenic spot. It has limited options for boutique shopping (Supetar is a more functional place) but you won’t be doing much on such a short stay anyway. It does however contain a bunch of fair size hotels (hidden well away) so it does have shops. If we did a fly-in to Brac I would recommend Supetar purely because there is more to do. The taxi to/from the airport to Supetar is about €40-45 which for a 30-40 min journey is a lot but taxis always charge loads. A taxi to Bol is about 1/3 of that.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message