Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Samsung Galaxy S v. Lenovo Tablet 2 comparison

There is only JeppTC in the appstore.

The answer to the question you wanted to know but were too shy to ask is here:

Is there an 8.9" tablet?

Isn’t 4.4.2 Kitkat and thus not supported?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry it is JeppTC. I tried it and found it very unstable in a nexus 7.

EGTK Oxford

JeppTC was very unstable (software industry code-speak for crashing every 5 minutes due to crap programming) on the Ipad when it came out. After about a year they fixed it.

The problem with android is that there is a variety of O/S versions with subtle differences. It’s an issue for developers, and for users who can find that most of the “more interesting” apps in the app shop (and most of those require a rooted device) don’t work at all. The app shop has no apparent means of controlling which OS version the app supports.

Android v5 stops a lot of stuff working and people are advised to not upgrade to it, but the only way to avoid the automatic download (which is then just one click away from installing) is to root the device and delete a couple of files.

And if JeppTC stops working on a device which was rooted after you installed the app, what then?

Administrator

In my experience, the major problem with JeppTC for Android is zero interest from Jeppesen in making it compatible with new devices or new Android versions (I’ve been in contact with them about this). I really don’t want to use Apple iOS devices, but I suppose that eventually I’ll have to.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And if JeppTC stops working on a device which was rooted after you installed the app, what then?

You could always reload a stock factory image.

I really don’t want to use Apple iOS devices, but I suppose that eventually I’ll have to.

I agree and held firm for a while. Eventually however my resolve broke!

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Mar 09:32
EGTK Oxford

You could always reload a stock factory image.

… and then the app(s) which relied on the rooting stop working. Like the PPP dial-up one I am trying to get to work right now

At work, all auto updates are disabled, as one has to do on any “mission critical” device. Bu that’s not possible with an Ipad. Well, you can achieve it but you keep getting nagged to install all the various updates, which is irritating and eventually somebody will click on the nag and Bang there goes another one which used to work (e.g. Memory Map and QCT support).

I did try it once with a rooted Ipad and spent ages searching various IOS hacking forums on how to stop auto updates, got some very rude answers, and gave up.

Eventually however my resolve broke!

I have got over that particular midlife crisis a while ago. Got an Ipad2, tore a lot of hair out trying to make it do Politburo-unapproved functionality, and now it is just a multimedia gadget which people borrow when they are staying with us

One thing which IOS has over android is that it supports adhoc wifi which makes it easier to tether it to a phone. Well, the current IOS version does…

The clincher for me is that the current android devices are every bit as good in the user interface as IOS ones. That was not the case say 2 years ago.

the major problem with JeppTC for Android is zero interest from Jeppesen in making it compatible with new devices

I would speculate the ease of rooting is a de-motivator for them. You can root an Ipad but it is a PITA and you are 99% sure to lose it on the next IOS update. Also the file system is obscured by the use of weird directory names so you have to be a dedicated hacker to find your way around it.

Administrator

Is there an 8.9" tablet?

Yes, that was one of the first generation tablets built by Samsung. I’ve got that one as well. It was nice at the time but it’s hopelessly outdated now.

EHLE

I have not been able to make my Samsung 8.4" one to shut down even in sunlight

but like (I suspect) an increasing number of these things it will not charge at all from 5.0V. It needs about 5.2V and the unit which comes with it is marked 5.3V.

It makes one laugh when the EU mandated a common charging connection but the mfgs stuck a finger up to them, by

• Apple using the voltage-divider method to identify a charger
  • everybody else doing it by shorting the two data lines
  • an increasing number of devices needing more than 5.0V

We had loads of threads on USB charging here in the past and it isn’t getting any better. But the USB spec says 5V +/-5% which means 5.25 is the highest, but by the time you have any useful cable length on it… 5.25V with a thick and short cable (you can buy them) may be only marginal. What it needs is 5.25V with remote sensing so it is 5.25 at the end of the cable, but nobody is doing that. The other hack is feed-forward compensation for the cable drop but that has to assume the cable resistance.

Administrator

I have flown with iPad and iPad mini on occasion, and both did overheat at some point. The Galaxy Note 10.1 not, though.

I have read a good bit on USB charging now, and I now know why the Note 10.1 won’t charge in an aircraft whatsoever. With Display on bright and GPS on, it isn’t even capable of holding capacity when connected to the cigarette lighter plug. But since that isn’t provided in all aircraft (and looking foreward I might want to be independend of aircraft power with these devices), I was briefly thinking of something like this for longer trips to charge out two tablets and the two phones. Don’t know if it is feasible, though.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Do you have a cigarette lighter plug capable of supplying 2A?

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message