Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Samsung Galaxy S v. Lenovo Tablet 2 comparison

We had another thread on the above topic here recently but I can’t find it.

The bizzare thing is that the same “60 second” PDF opens in 35 seconds on my ancient Nokia 808, which I believe is a 600MHz ARM (and it makes no difference whether stored on the internal fast flash or the SD card). The Galaxy tablet is a 2.2GHz ARM…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another thing I have found… the built in PDF reader on the Samsung tablet takes ~ 1 minute to render some PDF pages (e.g. VFR approach charts) while the one on my Lenovo win8 tablet does it in about 3 seconds.

The built-in app is otherwise the best-working one of all those I tried.

The fastest app I have found whose UI is not totally weird is the Adobe reader. It is still very slow on many PDFs, and is poorly designed in that e.g. the thumbnails don’t get generated automatically (well maybe very slowly) and there are some gestures which are easily done in error which need the app to be exited and restarted in order to get back to a usable UI.

I guess some of these Android tablets have slow processors. This is something worth checking out if you are buying something for displaying PDF terminal charts.

Just heard something funny on the radio: “technology is what we call things which don’t work yet”

Administrator

I have started another thread here on USB charging

Administrator

At least it says so.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Do you have a cigarette lighter plug capable of supplying 2A?

LSZK, Switzerland

I have flown with iPad and iPad mini on occasion, and both did overheat at some point. The Galaxy Note 10.1 not, though.

I have read a good bit on USB charging now, and I now know why the Note 10.1 won’t charge in an aircraft whatsoever. With Display on bright and GPS on, it isn’t even capable of holding capacity when connected to the cigarette lighter plug. But since that isn’t provided in all aircraft (and looking foreward I might want to be independend of aircraft power with these devices), I was briefly thinking of something like this for longer trips to charge out two tablets and the two phones. Don’t know if it is feasible, though.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I have not been able to make my Samsung 8.4" one to shut down even in sunlight

but like (I suspect) an increasing number of these things it will not charge at all from 5.0V. It needs about 5.2V and the unit which comes with it is marked 5.3V.

It makes one laugh when the EU mandated a common charging connection but the mfgs stuck a finger up to them, by

• Apple using the voltage-divider method to identify a charger
  • everybody else doing it by shorting the two data lines
  • an increasing number of devices needing more than 5.0V

We had loads of threads on USB charging here in the past and it isn’t getting any better. But the USB spec says 5V +/-5% which means 5.25 is the highest, but by the time you have any useful cable length on it… 5.25V with a thick and short cable (you can buy them) may be only marginal. What it needs is 5.25V with remote sensing so it is 5.25 at the end of the cable, but nobody is doing that. The other hack is feed-forward compensation for the cable drop but that has to assume the cable resistance.

Administrator

Is there an 8.9" tablet?

Yes, that was one of the first generation tablets built by Samsung. I’ve got that one as well. It was nice at the time but it’s hopelessly outdated now.

EHLE

You could always reload a stock factory image.

… and then the app(s) which relied on the rooting stop working. Like the PPP dial-up one I am trying to get to work right now

At work, all auto updates are disabled, as one has to do on any “mission critical” device. Bu that’s not possible with an Ipad. Well, you can achieve it but you keep getting nagged to install all the various updates, which is irritating and eventually somebody will click on the nag and Bang there goes another one which used to work (e.g. Memory Map and QCT support).

I did try it once with a rooted Ipad and spent ages searching various IOS hacking forums on how to stop auto updates, got some very rude answers, and gave up.

Eventually however my resolve broke!

I have got over that particular midlife crisis a while ago. Got an Ipad2, tore a lot of hair out trying to make it do Politburo-unapproved functionality, and now it is just a multimedia gadget which people borrow when they are staying with us

One thing which IOS has over android is that it supports adhoc wifi which makes it easier to tether it to a phone. Well, the current IOS version does…

The clincher for me is that the current android devices are every bit as good in the user interface as IOS ones. That was not the case say 2 years ago.

the major problem with JeppTC for Android is zero interest from Jeppesen in making it compatible with new devices

I would speculate the ease of rooting is a de-motivator for them. You can root an Ipad but it is a PITA and you are 99% sure to lose it on the next IOS update. Also the file system is obscured by the use of weird directory names so you have to be a dedicated hacker to find your way around it.

Administrator

And if JeppTC stops working on a device which was rooted after you installed the app, what then?

You could always reload a stock factory image.

I really don’t want to use Apple iOS devices, but I suppose that eventually I’ll have to.

I agree and held firm for a while. Eventually however my resolve broke!

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Mar 09:32
EGTK Oxford
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message