Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AME wanted German/Dutch border or Belgium

Piotr_Szut wrote:

ou need a Belgium specific class 4 certificate

Confirmed: my AME – who is really a nice chap, and has good connections with the powers that be in this respect – has always issued me a level 4 as I need for renewing by ultralight license, and never objected to also keep up a level 2 – I wanted to have it for the day I can afford to go for a PPL plus IFR. But last fall he profoundly apologised for being unable to continue doing that, due to pressure from “above”, I now hold a level 4 only.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Gare du Midi Station Brussel-Zuid, there is a medical centre where I have my class 1 examination performed every year. They are very efficient. From the train platform to the medical centre there is a less than 5 minutes walk. In Belgium they like red tape too: for instance, a LAPL medical certificate is not enough to fly a microlight. You need a Belgium specific class 4 certificate (most of the Belgian microlight flyers use a French licence on a French reg microlight aircraft, which does not require any medical certificate)

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 23 Feb 14:39
Paris, France

Why would flying a ultralight require additional training from a PPL holder, apart from perhaps some familiarization with the particular type? In Poland I can fly an Aeroprakt, registered as an ultralight, on a PPL and all I needed was a checkout flight with an instructor.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Ah! Got it.

EDLE, Netherlands

I understand the Blackshape Prime as operated at Lelystad to be a ULM which would explain his need for further training. I have a copy of an exchange of emails between an AME, KIWA and ILenT which confirms the situation on medicals.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter: the Dutch pilot that sold his Cirrus and exchanged it for a Blackshape Prime had a PPL/IR and to fly the Blackshape had to do training to obtain his LAPL. Might want to double check.

EDLE, Netherlands

A result

Although the Dutch are still being difficult I had another chat with my AME today and her partner who is an FI/Examiner and it seems that I can fly on my PPL but using LAPL privileges until my licence and medical need renewing which will not be until November. I had always understood that to fly on a LAPL medical you must have a valid LAPL licence but it appears every PPL has an automatic LAPL and as a Class II medical also automatically has a LAPL medical the situation is temporarily resolved. Huge thanks to everyone who offered advice and information.

Thanks Lutz – unfortunately it seems a foreign medical will still be paased to the Dutch for final authorisation so back to square 1

Peter, there is a Belgian/dutch speaking doc in Stolberg, close to Aachen.

http://www.praxis-van-stappen.de/über-die-praxis/unser-team/

Experienced pilot and skydiver himself.

EDKA, EBSP

Vieke wrote:

If you look someone in Belgium, sent me a message

If it was you then no pm received :(

Having had a long conversation with Flyin’Dutch it seems I am stuck. If I go for a foreign AME the final decision is still with the Dutch. The alternative is to change the state of registry of my licence – not a problem as I have a UK address – but to do that I must have a valid medical. One thing is for certain, as soon as I have my medical I will re-register in the UK.

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message