Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR conversion and night rating

huv, it wasn’t the typo that confused, it was that I don’t think it’s very easy to transfer the an EASA CPL from an FAA CPL. It is possible but you have to do all the exams. Unless a BASA offers another route of course…..

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yeah, finding a way to avoid the JAA CPL/ATPL exams is the world’s second oldest profession.

There have been ways to do it, much written about, and usually involving wangling some validation route by getting a job with a European based AOC operator. Other “more interesting” ways have also existed. One was going FAA → Canada → Ireland or something like that.

Even avoiding the 7 JAA IR exams (which are about 95% sheer crap) was something I looked at in huge detail.

Currently I am not aware of a shortcut to the exams but of course if I did know I would not be posting it

The 7 IR exams have gone now, for FAA IR holders who just want a JAA/EASA PPL/IR. But no shortcut for the CPL or the ATPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Which makes the question even more interesting.

The EASA detaching of the night rating from IR was done for flexibility, in my understanding. Before CB IR, the European IR included night flying rights, just as I suppose it is with FAA IR.
I am sure there was no intention to make anything harder for FAA pilots with CB IR. Look at the EASA IR itself, getting that over from an FAA IR has become easier, which was also part of the intention.

So – it seems that either it is somewhere in the regs, that FAA IR transfers to IR + night – or there is an EASA oversight. I have no idea which it is.

Last Edited by huv at 28 Oct 12:43
huv
EKRK, Denmark

As far as I know a cb/ir includes night priveleges. You canhowever now also obtain cb/ir day only which was created specifically for people who are colourblind to enable them to also make use of these priveleges.

For conversion it should not be a problem whatsoever

Commander, the CB IR includes night IFR only if the pilot already has night priviliges. The same for en-route IFR (EIR). If the pilot is not night rated, the EIR/IR will just give him the rights to fly IFR in the daytime. This is one of the changes introduced with the CB IR.

Last Edited by huv at 29 Oct 07:08
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Well I am now on the train on my way home from the CAA

I have my EASA ppl issued with SEP, MEP, Instrument, IR(R), and night

To get the night put on there I had to show more night flying than required for the night rating, both dual and p1. I also had to take a letter of recommendation from the head of training for an ATO. My experience with ATOs is nothing like as gloomy as some have said, they were happy to help me

A word of caution, the CAA do not necessarily offer CB-IR conversions on a same day basis. Luckily my lovable honest face must have appealed (plus i was there by 8am) and they did mine. It took 3 hours all in.

That is astounding and I think that the CAA got this wrong. They shouldn’t write “CB IR” on the license. CB IR is not a rating, it’s merely a “course” towards an IR…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes that is really terrible and could cause a problem later on. I would get it corrected immediately. It’s clearly a cockup.

The “CB” might vanish on the next revaliation, but it might not…

One might think that they might be using the “CB” to denote that you didn’t sit a proper subset of the ATPL exams, but e.g. a UK based JAA IR holder, post-2000 or so, didn’t sit a subset of the ATPL exams either (the 7 IR exams had “big jet” etc questions removed).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message