Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP IFR airplane with TKS/De-Ice?

One thing you need to be clear about is the exact mission profile with regard to penetration of specific weather.

If you want TKS then you will be flying in icing conditions.

If this is just IMC between 0C and -15C or so, temporarily, that’s fine.

But a lot of people think it terms of “deiced = able to penetrate fronts in icing conditions” etc and for that you also need radar. I know that many people disagree with this and will say I am too cautious, but I have read too many “near death experience” reports from that area

TKS is quite expensive to operate if you use the “approved” fluid which is about 150 quid for a 20 litre drum. I have prop TKS and on that the cost is insignificant but for a full system you get through it pretty fast if you actually use it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, i pay + € 200 for a 20 liter container. And if you don’t newd TKS you still need to switch it on for a couple of minutes every two weeks to prevent the titanium wing panels go bad (not necessary if you only prop deice). Every run will cost you a liter or two. I prefer do it while flying through rain … the stuff (which is corrosive too) makes the plane sticky …

Also you have to change the TKS filter in certain intervals (… € 200 for the SR22)

I haven’t decided what the mission profile should be. It depends on what the others in a future owner-group are looking for. Trying to get an overview of what options there are.

My flying is mostly private right now. No business schedules to meet. I would like to operate more under (“light”) IFR during winter time. Able to climb through IMC to “On Top” to VMC, able to descend through IMC and land.

Peter, how much has the TKS Prop helped you?

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 21 Nov 15:12
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

not necessary if you only prop deice

Actually it is, otherwise the pump seizes up and CAV want €7000 for it! There is a thread about it here somewhere.

how much has the TKS Prop helped you?

Massively. It means you have full power even when collecting some ice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Makes sense, i understand the pump will suffer if it’s not run for a while … 7000 ? Crazy …

What Peter says is totally correct IMHO: “But a lot of people think it terms of “deiced = able to penetrate fronts in icing conditions” etc and for that you also need radar.” … and even while having a real radar in my -vi and an additional stormscope I accept certain days being ‘no-flying’ days for a relatively low-hours hobby pilot like me.

As for the MEP license stuff: you need to invest another 10K€ for enjyoing the 2nd engine. However, flying the DA42 is easy and even less complex compared to a SR22 due to the FADEC-approach in power-setting etc.. It’s truly worth a thought.

With regard to the costs of TKS fluid: just check the aerosense (http://www.aero-sense.com) side, they have an online shop where you can find the prices.

Finally I think is not the pump or the panel that suffers when not being used but the ‘sponge’ behind the panels; so I prefer switching the TKS on every 2-4 weeks on ‘high’ for some minutes just to keep those sponges wet.

AFAIK (but maybe wrong) it’s the tiny holes in the panels getting blocked by crystaline structures that develop when the TKS fluid dries.

I checked the retrofit price for a full TKS on my Bo: 32KUS$ for the kit and 15 k euro for the install in Europe…
I was looking for a hot prop only but that seems to be only available for certain Bonanza’s and prop combinations…
Would love some hot-prop or TKS prop system only..

EBST

A few more points on TKS and on the Cirrus in particular:

-the least expensive source for the fluid in Europe is Aircraft Spruce Europe; comes to about 6-7€ per litre including tax and shipmemt.

-some people (like me) brew their own TKS fluid (the “recipe” is public and simple). Your final cost per litre depends on various factors. It used to cost me 3€. Lately, I wasn’t able to find any good source, so the cost may actually be almost appoaching the price of Spruce

-the recommended interval for test/routine runs on the (non-FIKI) Cirrus is 30 days. After a few years, I switched to roughly 45 days. No problem over many years now.

-the two year filter change on the Cirrus is a joke. Fortunately not required under FAA Part 61.

All in all, if you don’t fly in icing too often (which would be a good idea to start with), the extra running costs of the system (at least the non-FIKI TKS like on my Cirrus) are not too significant. FIKI (on the Cirrus) will cost more due to the higher flow rate.

I use the system rarely (the way non-FIKI systems are supposed to be used…) and have a total consumption of maybe 30 litres a year.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Nov 18:12
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

the least expensive source for the fluid in Europe is Aircraft Spruce Europe; comes to about 6-7€ per litre including tax and shipmemt.

Good to know, didn’t even know they sel that stuff!

some people (like me) brew their own TKS fluid (the “recipe” is public and simple). Your final cost per litre depends on various factors. It used to cost me 3€. Lately, I wasn’t able to find any good source, so the cost may actually be almost appoaching the price of Spruce

that’s one thing I will not start :-)

the recommended interval for test/routine runs on the (non-FIKI) Cirrus is 30 days. After a few years, I switched to roughly 45 days. No problem over many years now.

okay, copied! I forget it all the time anyway …

the two year filter change on the Cirrus is a joke. Fortunately not required under FAA Part 61.

Well, mine is G reg and I have to change it …

All in all, if you don’t fly in icing too often (which would be a good idea to start with), the extra running costs of the system (at least the non-FIKI TKS like on my Cirrus) are not too significant. FIKI (on the Cirrus) will cost more due to the higher flow rate.

copied

I use the sytem rarely (the way non-FIKI systems are supposed to be used…) and have a total consumption of maybe 30 litres a year.
Yes, and I used it even less than you :-)

Learn somethimg new from you all the time!

[quotes cleaned up]

Sign in to add your message