Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taking my MU2 to Europe (Mode S EHS etc)

Mike I think you will find that the only person with your sort of aircraft here is @AdamFrisch although his legacy turboprop twin isn’t flying yet. He lives in CA and can prob also give you some advice on Europe.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Sure but how often do you fly an NDB approach in a non radar environment or operate where there is no alternate? Crossing the Atlantic is not that hard but nor should its challenges be underestimated.

Exactly my point. Especially when flying into BGBW.

“Dont ask dont tell” others have cover in detail.

One more thing. Peter is very sensitive about his TB 20 so be a little more diplomatic when you are speaking to him about his airplane.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter is very sensitive about his TB 20 so be a little more diplomatic when you are speaking to him about his airplane

I am completely immune to that sort of thing!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

Sure but how often do you fly an NDB approach in a non radar environment or operate where there is no alternate?

More than you might imagine. Flying in the western US you often end up non radar, and often with some very interesting approaches. I’ve done a few non radar NDBs in the sim as well.

Crossing the Atlantic is not that hard but nor should its challenges be underestimated.

I am not trivializing it. The issue is that crossing the Atlantic is something for which there are pretty good resources on the web, I will have help, and it isn’t the reason I would go or not go on this trip. I have studied it enough to believe I can do it both ways, at the times of the year I need to.

My focus now is trying to analyze the use of the airplane IN Europe. I’m getting a lot of qualitative information, which is good, but I lack almost all hard factual data on this. What will it cost to keep my plane at EGNE? Or land in Prague?

It seems from the discussion that I need to spend a lot of time on the phone calling people in Europe to get answers on that, and based on the trip reports, you won’t really know even then as new fees and different prices seem to appear all the time without warning. I don’t need it to the penny (centieuro?), but I do need some basic idea of what this costs. The prices the piston singles are paying are not what I will pay, I just need to know what to budget.

Mike C.

KEVV

Operationally get used to adding Prist to Jet A1 through a can while refuelling. Fuel handlers in Europe are generally prohibited from handling the stuff for aircraft with over wing open refuelling.

With 3000 fpm plus climb rate you are unlikely to be kept low for traffic, but you need to expedite when you get a step climb so ATC can see you are not low performance. The step climb clearances can come fast and furious in the London TMA and if you miss one they will keep you down low. Presumably your altitude bug is seen via your Mode S?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No one here can tell you what it will cost. You will have to contact each airport yourself. Don’t forget to add the cost of enroute IFR charges. Probably about $1.50 per nm for European flying.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Feb 21:09
EGTK Oxford

Prague LKPR is not difficult:

I paid about €200 in May 2015 (1400kg). Not cheap… my totally wild guess is that you would pay €500-1000.

For example I know I would pay GBP 600 at Gatwick EGKK (of which about GBP 500 is handling) and a CJ4 pays GBP 3000+ (Signature or Harrods Handling are the two options AFAIK). But nobody flies to EGKK unless they really don’t care…

I briefly looked at a used TBM700 and I would be paying some €200 on average, against an average of say €30 at present. But there is a lot of variation.

For EGNE hangarage you need to make some phone calls and find out who controls the hangars. Maybe a local here can help? 14198 hits from the UK in last 30 days

The URL I posted earlier is a long way from perfect for real information but is great for contact numbers.

I have a bad name here for irritating people because when I need info I email and fax everybody at the said airport Put your email address in the body of the fax, and it often works well. If is an airport in a non-English-speaking country (meaning: Spain, France, Italy ) I google translate the text and drop that in at the top.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mciholas wrote:

I’m getting a lot of qualitative information, which is good, but I lack almost all hard factual data on this. What will it cost to keep my plane at EGNE? Or land in Prague?

I think the most airports you are visualising at this moment have a nice website with landingfees. You can look after that document and count your estimated landingfee. If you will use the bigger airports, the landingfee will not be your biggest cost, but the handlingfee will be. You have to contact them yourself for an estimated quote. You have a big plane, the cost will also like that I think (but Jason will know more, because his jet is also a little bit bigger.

For example, I fly with a really small GA plane, I landed this year in Athens and Istanbul

Athens (LGAV), the landing fees were about 80€ (VFR) and I had no handling fee because that was fee (Athens Flying Week).
Istanbul (LTFJ) the landing fees were about 60€, the handling fees were about 570€. Ataturk would have been cheaper (I had a deal with the handling agent untill they published a stupid notam VFR was not allowed because of work on a taxiway or runway)
Corlu (LTBU) the landing fees were about 40€, the handling fees were about 780€! (At the end, all (landing + handling) the costs were free because I got no handling service and I complained.) Corlu is really small if you compare it with Istanbul.

You see, we cannot give you estimated quote, because it depends really a lot, you have to look up the landing fees at the site of the airport (or mail the nav office) and contact the handling company (they mostly give you a quote for handling + landing)

Last Edited by Vieke at 13 Feb 21:31
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

RobertL18C wrote:

Operationally get used to adding Prist to Jet A1 through a can while refuelling.
My plane does not require FSII (fuel system icing inhibitor) like Prist, so this is something I don’t have to worry about. It is none the less a good idea to add if you can.

A good percentage of US jet fuel is premixed, FSII in the fuel from the distributor, and almost all that aren’t have fuel truck automatic injection systems. Manually adding Prist at the filler port is almost unheard of in the US. How do turbine guys suffer manually adding Prist in Europe?

Presumably your altitude bug is seen via your Mode S?

I am presently not mode S equipped. I will be mode S and ADS-B 1090ES equipped when I come (plus adding 406 MHz ELT, those two items bring my equipment level up to requirements, or so I think). My system will not be “enhanced” surveillance as I don’t think I need that, in which case it does not send altitude bug and many other parameters.

If I need to be “enhanced” surveillance, then the trip ends now as that is simply not possible to do to my airplane in any reasonable way. Given there are MU2s in Europe, this must not be required of my type.

Mike C.

KEVV

Prist is far more common in the US and Canada than here. Suggest you add some in Goose Bay and Narsarsuaq just in case.

You don’t need enhanced surveillance. But will need Mode S.

Remember your aircraft radio licence and personal radio certificate.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message