Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taking my MU2 to Europe (Mode S EHS etc)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

While true Peter, I don’t think it is enforced.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Don’t forget to add the cost of enroute IFR charges. Probably about $1.50 per nm for European flying.
I actually did pretty exhaustive research on this and concluded that a typical enroute IFR charge would be around $125/hr, or about $0.43/nm.

Since that figure is wildly different than your number, I am a bit concerned I did it wrong, so I’ll show my work:

Consider 290 nm (typical 1 hour flight distance) in France (where a good part of my IFR miles will be since I fly to or through France on most of my trips).

Charges are the product of distance factor X weight factor X tariff per here: http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/establishing-route-charges

Distance is 537 km (290 nm). Distance factor is 1/100 of that, 5.37. In reality, it will be less because the distance factor is great circle while within a given charging zone, so extra miles of routing don’t add to the number.

Weight for MGTOW is 10,470 lbs, 4,749 Kg, or 4.749 metric tonnes. Weight factor is that divided by 50, square root, which works out to 0.3082.

Tariff is published monthly, here: http://www.eurocontrol.int/services/monthly-adjusted-unit-rates

For France this month it is 67.63 Euro.

The total charge for those 290 nm in France is thus 5.37 × 0.3082 × 67.63 = 111.93 Euro = $125.98 at today’s exchange rate.

Did I do this right?

France rates are about average. Some countries are higher (Switzerland 104, UK 97), some are lower (Bulgaria 22, Ireland 29).

I figure I will fly around Europe about 25 hours, and budget a bit over $3000 for enroute IFR charges. This will not keep me from bringing the airplane.

I realize this does NOT include use of the airports at each end which could easily exceed this figure quite a lot. Are there charges for terminal areas and/or IAPs? Is that paid to the airport or somebody else?

Mike C.

KEVV

EHS is required if max cruise exceeds 250kt, in EHS designated airspace. Which varies country by country.

Exemptions are available if the aircraft genuinely can’t comply. Again country by country.

Why can’t your aircraft provide the required parameters?

Last Edited by Cobalt at 13 Feb 22:15
Biggin Hill

Re airport approach / terminal charges – yest, they exist. You know by now what the answer is – it is country dependent, i wrote about it earlier on in the thread.

May I suggest a simpler approach: Bring some money. Fly. Stop when you run out. With the airways charges, the expensive fuel, and what you pay to base the aircraft for the duration of your stay, you have the largest cost differences already, just add 10 percent for the rest.

If you avoid two big traps – paying silly landing fees and handling fees at major airports – you will be fine, and while you might run out of money earlier than you want to, it won’t defeat the purpose of you bringing the aircraft across the pond.

Even if you are 20 percent off in your estimates – 20 hours instead of 25 doesn’t ruin Europe for you…

C.

Biggin Hill

mciholas wrote:

I actually did pretty exhaustive research on this and concluded that a typical enroute IFR charge would be around $125/hr, or about $0.43/nm.

The EuroGA router will estimate the enroute charges for you

LFPT, LFPN

JasonC wrote:

While true Peter, I don’t think it is enforced.
This web page talks about exemptions from EHS.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/mode-s-exemptions

In particular, my plane would qualify for the first case:

“Where the avionics equipage of aircraft do not permit the extraction and transmission of the full set of downlink aircraft parameters (DAPs).”

The kicker is:

“The National Aviation Authorities (NAAs) are responsible for granting exemptions, on an individual State by State basis.”

So it seems I must apply for an exemption to every state I intend to visit or cross. Ugh.

If I promise not to fly faster than 250 KTAS, will that escape the requirement?

This might be one of those don’t ask, don’t tell things.

Mike C.

KEVV

This might be one of those don’t ask, don’t tell things.

That would be my suggestion.

EGTK Oxford

Mike,

Well, yes.

Another rule is not to post it on a forum before hand.

Cobalt wrote:

Why can’t your aircraft provide the required parameters?
No electronic interfaces to most of the data. I don’t have a computer spitting out roll angle, track angle, selected altitude, vertical rate, magnetic heading, indicated airspeed, etc, much less an EHS capable mode S transponder that could receive and format that information.

I’d wager there is not a single MU2 in the world that is EHS capable, yet 17 of them are based in Europe.

Mike C.

KEVV
Sign in to add your message