Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sanity check on ownership costs

My costs for a PA28 are in the same realm as Peter’s.

My Annual costs are a bit higher than your estimate.
My hangarage cost is higher, but this is hugely variable depending on where you are.
And as Peter suggested, you have not included any allowance for ‘squawks’ that will be found throughout the year, or at the Annual. Last year the mags needed to be overhauled, this year so far only a battery. There’s always something.

EGTT, The London FIR

I have left out the snags through the year. As I know those are completely variable. I was trying to understand the base cost first. From what I am getting though that is right out of my price range, even if I went half ownership as was suggested by another aeroclub member last week. I think homebuild is the way for me. I would do all of my own maintenace and therefore reduce that to parts plus LAA or equivalent fees.

Returning to my original numbers can anyone comment on the PtF numbers?

EDHS, Germany
For a CofA (C172/PA28)
Fixed Costs
Insurance ca. €1500 pa
Hanger ca. €2000 pa
Annual ca. €3000 pa
Licences ca. €500 pa (Radio Licence, subscription Skydemon etc.)

Insurance – I can’t comment on. Ours is a LOT higher, but it’s because it’s a club (more of a large group) with unnamed members flying it, with vastly different experience.

Hanger – totally depends on your location.

Annual. Seems very low to me. For us, a figure of €5-6K would seem more typical. The “Annual” will be much less, but there is always other things that need to be done that brings the cost up. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one less than €4.5K, and I’ve seen some higher than the €6k mentioned above.

The fuel costs will depend on the variant and how you fly it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

My costs for my Commander 114b

Insurance £2500
Annual £7500
Garmin subscription for he 650/750/500 £800
50 hour and 100 hour services £2000
Hangar – well we own it, but say costs for water/elec £500

Hourly

Fuel 50lts @ current EGCV price of £1.50 =£75/hr

so amortised over 150 hour annual flying its £24,550 or £163.66 / hr

Which I think is not too bad for this class of aircraft..

but you have to get the usage to make it pay…

always budget for lots of unexpected costs, in the 50 hour which was completed yesterday, the number 1 vac pump had to be replaced and I have already had one tyre and a battery this year…

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

1.5k insurance might be possible on an almost zero hull value cover and a few named pilots.
2k hangarage is possible in the poorer bits of the UK. In the south-east it is 5k-7k.
3k annual is very feasible for scheduled maintenance

Don’t forget 50hr checks which are ~£500 if done by a company, ~£100 if done by pilot.

I would suggest a phone call to Haywards – the UK’s biggest insurer. I am with them and pay 2.8k for a 195k agreed hull value, but then I have a CPL/IR with 2k hrs and only me as a named pilot. In 2002-2006 I was paying 6k for “club use” which was basically anybody with a PPL and approved by the owner (me).

Maintenance is hugely variable according to condition and bad luck (bad luck = lack of a prebuy check). I used to know a Cessna 150 which was 7k on every Annual. But it was a syndicate of 25, around an old and shagged plane, worth maybe 15k. But if you were an EASA66 guy, or used a freelance EASA66 guy, that 7k would be slashed. That syndicate now rents a similar plane from an EASA66 bloke who maintains several of them out of some shed in the middle of nowhere and makes it his day job, and it costs them a lot less. The absolute worst combination is to buy an old shagged neglected plane, rent it out wet at a very low hourly cost so it gets shagged flying, gets shagged on landings, and then take it to a company to get fixed

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

2k hangarage is possible in the poorer bits of the UK. In the south-east it is 5k-7k.

At my home base it is more like 2k€ per month if you are lucky enough to get a place on the waiting list… With an older plane I wouldn’t care about hangar at all. They can withstand our climate fairly well.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Never really understood this hangar obsession from owners (unless you have a wood or rag plane). Nice to have, for sure, but I hear people avoid buying a plane altogether if they can’t get hangar space. Why? A good paint job every 10-15 years and a professional full wax job (say 4 times a year), is always going to be cheaper than any hangar, even in a UK climate. You can get really great airplane covers for almost all models from Bruce’s Custom Airplane Covers. Well worth spending the money on.

I spend $93/month for a tie down in sunny SoCal. The hangars at my airport start at $900/month, which is insane. In two years, I’ve earned back what a good paintjob would cost. In 4 years I’ve saved enough to replace all the windows as well.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 28 Mar 01:18

No point in going into it here but as an aside both fixed and hourly costs in an urban US environment are roughly half that quoted by the OP for a similar plane.

Adam, US hangar cost for physically larger aircraft grows non-linearly, a slightly bigger hangar costs a lot more because the market will bear it. I wouldn’t pay $900 for a hangar either!

The periodic paint job option is a hassle, because managing even a single paint job is huge job. Paint shops come and go, most of the good ones aren’t local, quality at the same shop varies depending on phase of the moon or something even harder to predict in advance. Then there’s the rework when something goes wrong.

The main reason I value my hangar so much is because it gives me a workshop to maintain the planes, whether it’s me doing the work under A&P supervision or the A&P doing the work… and the hangar costs roughly half what you mention. That has huge payback in reducing overall cost of ownership, as well as providing me a nice place to have hangar parties… Next time I think you should be the first attendee ever to arrive in either a twin or a turbine

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 01:46

PtF single seater – my insurance was £350. Hangarage locally is £120 a month (it was dependent on the size of the aircraft). The other costs I’m yet to find out.

The main reason I value my hangar so much is because it gives me a workshop to maintain the planes

Don’t tell anybody who rents out a hangar but a hangar you can work in, discreetly, is worth a lot more than one in which you can’t, for all the reasons I have posted many times.

A good paint job every 10-15 years and a professional full wax job (say 4 times a year), is always going to be cheaper than any hangar, even in a UK climate

Financially you may be right in the short term but a plane parked outdoors is going to get corrosion internally too, and the avionics will likely become unreliable. I know there will be contrary data points on this but IMHO it’s only a matter of time. I regularly visit a little avionics repair outfit and most of their work is trying to fix old gear which has been eaten from the inside. Much of it is futile…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message