Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Official Non Towered airport (can you land regardless?)

Leaving cruising altitude! Thats insane. From FL300 that could be 30 mins. or more.

How about using the radio and position reports? A little courtesy perhaps.

Ill be happy to have ADS B and then they can stick it. Afterall that is what it is all about, self serve ATC.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

What I noticed on the return trip that it is a non towered airport with an INFO service kind of like a Unicom.

Just be careful to check the tower does not open officially for the 2 daily commercial flights, and shortly after reverses to being an AFIS-only, or close shop until the next commercial flight. A common sight in low-traffic airports in Sweden (NOTAMs are your friends).

ESMK, Sweden

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

You might still be in breach of the “rules of the house” though, so that the aerodrome operator could have prosecuted you, up to and including impounding your plane.

By what law? I can’t see how you could be prosecuted for breaking “house rules”. There might be a lawsuit, but in most jurisdictions you have to demonstrate economic loss to be awarded damages,

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Arne wrote:

Just be careful to check the tower does not open officially for the 2 daily commercial flights, and shortly after reverses to being an AFIS-only, or close shop until the next commercial flight. A common sight in low-traffic airports in Sweden (NOTAMs are your friends).

An airport which is usually AFIS but get a TWR service only for commercial flights?? Which airport is that?

There might be a lawsuit, but in most jurisdictions you have to demonstrate economic loss to be awarded damages,

You might get this which is just as bad. Most people don’t want to go anywhere near that.

An airport which is usually AFIS but get a TWR service only for commercial flights?? Which airport is that?

I can think of some which at various times were “Radio” and became full ATC at other times – e.g. Shoreham EGKA. Probably some others in S. Europe too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You might get this which is just as bad. Most people don’t want to go anywhere near that.

I believe that is quite UK specific. My impression is that your trespass laws are different from those of most countries.

I can think of some which at various times were “Radio” and became full ATC at other times – e.g. Shoreham EGKA. Probably some others in S. Europe too.

Yes, certainly! By an AFIS/TWR combo is usually because traffic intensity varies. Having AFIS as the base service and upgrade to TWR twice a day for single commercial movements seems very odd to me — at least from a Swedish perspective as there is no requirement that CAT use controlled airports in Sweden and Arne said it was “common” here.

There are a few here. Though it tends to work the other way around. They have controlled airspace around them, which reverts to class G when no ATC. They downgrade ATC to AFIS when they have no commercial traffic.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Which ones?

Like AA, I only know places which go from TWR at no ATS at all, or AFIS to no ATS at all, but not TWR to AFIS. Sarmellek (now often called Heviz it seems) is very much an exception it seems.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

C210_Flyer wrote:

Leaving cruising altitude! Thats insane. From FL300 that could be 30 mins. or more.

Yes, it is…

How about using the radio and position reports? A little courtesy perhaps.

Balaton Info is not controlling the approach. The approach is controlled by radar controllers and of course they know exactly where the airliner is and relay that information to LHSM AFIS. It’s the position reports of GA planes that they don’t take for granted, hence no VFR arrivals are let in ca. 15 minutes before the ETA of the airliner.

Arne wrote:

Not the case at LHSM, or any other airport in Hungary. The closest thing to this is LHDC Debrecen which may have relatively long gaps in its operation, but its not as bad as in case of e.g. the Greek airports. And it is still AFIS all the time.

boscomantico wrote:

Sarmellek (now often called Heviz it seems) is very much an exception it seems.

As I wrote above, LHSM Sármellék (Hévíz, Balaton etc) is AFIS when the airodrome is open and no service otherwise.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

boscomantico wrote:

Which ones?

EIWF Waterford does it all the time.
EISG Sligo used to, but it’s mainly AFIS now that they don’t have any commercial traffic anymore.
EICM Galway used to do it all the time too, but it’s closed now.
EIDL Donegal does it.

Note so sure if EIKY Kerry & EIKN Ireland West do it. I think they are mainly ATC, but could be wrong.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message