Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Official Non Towered airport (can you land regardless?)

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

enough said?

Yup here it is and what they are responsible for

http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/aviation:aerodrome-flight-information-service-afis

Ok so the upshot is that it is like any other uncontrolled airport (as in the US) it is the pilots responsibility to see and avoid, as well as follow normally accepted traffic patterns as published in the AIP, call out that information, so others know and have situational awareness for a safe conclusion to a flight.

Any deviation away from those rules makes for uncertainty and therefore confusion, leading to a possible tragic event.

KHTO, LHTL

Cobalt wrote:

We had this before.
So we have, and I believe I was the one quoting chapter and verse of what you state below.

Regardless of airspace, you have to either avoid the vicinity of an airport or conform to the pattern of the traffic around it.

If the airport has ATC (i.e., tower) you have to follow their instructions while in that vicinity.

The “vicinity” has no clear definition. But it is safe to say that when you get close to the traffic pattern and are talking to them for landing, they can give you instructions which, as long as they are safe, you must follow.

An information unit (info, information, radio, etc.) can NOT give you instructions in the air, they can only give you information.

Exactly. Since TIZ means “Traffic Information Zone”, more or less by definition the airport will have AFIS and not be controlled. So again, how can ATC tell you to stay clear of the TIZ?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You know sitting in a make believe tower with a microphone, coming from a previous authoritarian atmosphere and needing to feel important it is very difficult not to do something to show that authority. I kind of liken it to a parent whose kid is ready to leave the nest but the parent dosent want to accept their kids new found independence. As a parent it is difficult not to step in and put your foot down the way you always have. I think this is what is happening here. Someone needs to explain the rules of the road to these guys.

KHTO, LHTL
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message