Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up at Hotel Hertelendy Kastely LHKU - 2-4 September 2016

Really nice location. We stopped on the way at the lake Balaton for swimming. On the way home we had good weather for nice sightseeing in the alps. The hotel is absolutely great, best service, excellent food and the runway is in good shape. It was a pleasure to meet with @JnvS and @210_Flyer there.

EDDS , Germany

@eddsPeter @C210_Flyer
Thanks for coming, it has been a memorable weekend. I’m glad that you all made it home safely.

I have found the hotel very nice, certainly up to 5-star standards, even with the current part-time opening regime. The airfield is also in good condition and could easily accommodate many more aircraft than what we had there this time. I hope that in the not so distant future we will be able to bring more pilots there.

On the way home I routed myself over the Lake Balaton and flew along its southern shore to do some extra sightseeing. This return flight has been my most pleasurable flight in a long time.

Here are my photos:

Pentele Bridge (M8 Danube Bridge) near Dunaújváros

Sunset over one of the private lakes of the hotel

Hotel pool with my plane in the distant background

Our planes at the airfield

Church and monastery in the nearby village of Segesd, located on the top of an hors catégorie climb

Interior of the church

Aerial view of the church

The hotel and its airstrip from the air

The hotel as seen from the back yard

View from the hotel’s terrace

A Cessna 172 (HA-SKD) doing air-taxi work, bringing in day guests from the nearby Kaposvár / Kaposújlak (LHKV)

Badacsony mountain and other buttes on the northern shore of Lake Balaton, part of the Balaton-felvidék National Park

Kőröshegy Viaduct on motorway M7, an impressive structure structure over a nonremarkable valley (one of the finest examples of unnecessary highway infrastructure built in Hungary due to corruption)

Tihany Peninsula with the Tihany Abbey, a Benedictine monastery established in 1055

Close-up view of the Tihany Abbey

Looking up the Csepel Island on the River Danube

Kunmadaras (LHKM) as seen from the southwest
It was a former soviet airbase, currently used for motorcycle racing and light general aviation. Please note if you ever go there: only the western 1 km of the former runway is in use as a runway (bottom part on the photo). The other end, which has a much newer and nicer-looking asphalt coating is used for racing and therefore not suitable for landing. May be shown as abandoned airport on many maps, but it is actually in use and its use is increasing. Use only with PPR, which is also advisable due to changing runway conditions and occasional events closing the whole runway.

Last Edited by JnsV at 05 Sep 00:31
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Great photos and looks a nice destination

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
93 Posts
Sign in to add your message