Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

boscomantico wrote:

Skiing in France and in Switzerland just doesn’t make sense really. Italy and Austria cost way less and are
at least as good

I tend to agree, but from a “fly to ski” point of view, there is am emotional plus to landing on top of the mountain to strap on the equipment and zoom off right away.

Zell am See is awesome in that you can walk to the valley side of the lift in 10 minutes or so and be skiing in almost no time, but, alas, it just doesn’t compare…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

However, Zell is in Austria

AFAICT St Johann is very similar, with same sort of slopes.

Both are popular with e.g. southern Germans as a day trip.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is it worth it? Of course it is

For €22 it should have steak hidden below this green stuff

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

For another mere €30 you could have had this

It had to be combined with the item in post #22 in order to get some “vegetables”

Administrator

Peter wrote:

However, Zell is in Austria

That’s what I meant. Skiing in Austria and Italy is in many ways just as good, in some ways better than in France and Switzerland. However, when it comes to “Fly to Ski”, nothing beats landing on top of the mountain, which you can do in France, but not so easily in Austria…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Peter wrote:

Has anyone flown into Geneva? For an airline passenger it is an incredibly disorganised cattle market.

This airport is at its absolute limits if not over on weekends in Winter. So SIR is a good alterative for Passengers going to the Valais ski aerias…

[SIR=Sion]

Has anyone flown into Courchevel or Meribel, to ski?

I have a French mountain rating and have flown into both – only Courchevel in my TB20 the other times in a Jodel. The plane need skis to land at Meribel in winter but Courcehevel will clear the snow to make it useable with wheels. I took the opportunity to buy a new pair of carving skis that would fit into the TB20 so that I could ski shortly after landing. I was allowed to pay the landing fee after skiing to maximise the skiing time. It was a brilliant experience but we did fly direct from the UK then which is not possible now. I have done a few day trips from Sion to Courchevel but I was told by a local instructor that this also was no longer possible.

From Sion I would also seriously consider Crans Montana to ski. It is a wonderful family friendly ski resort. There’s also Val d’Anniviers which consists of five resorts, some easier than others.

Rochester EGTO

I have done a few day trips from Sion to Courchevel but I was told by a local instructor that this also was no longer possible.

I wonder why that is not possible. It might not be practical but Switzerland is in Schengen.

Looking at the piste map or here Crans Montana seems very good for a family where everyone is good on reds That will admittedly probably be true for most.

Administrator

Anyone heard of Passo del Tonale Airfield? 800m Grass, 6200ft msl, directly on the ski slopes but might be closed in winter.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Some info here. Definitely no snow clearing there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message