Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

The piste map for Alpbach looks like it has some decent long blue runs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately not a skier but what about LFIP (Peyresourde), in the Pyrénées? The ski runs are like 300 meters away from the runway. If there is interest in doing a fly-in there I’m happy to arrange it. (they recently extended the runway and worst case there is another airport in the valley, 30m away by car).

Here is a picture of the runway from the local airclub’s website.

Peyresourde is usage restreint (need either qualification montagne or authorisation de site).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Right. Authorisation de site isn’t a huge deal – we could land in Luchon, in the Valley, and board a local instructor to survey the LFIP circuit and do a dozen of landings to qualify for the site.

Definitely LFIP is not a place I would recommend to go without previous experience there or in other altiports.
It has a really steep slope and when you see it for the first time in final it looks really impressive.

Anyway, past winter a group tried to arrange landing there to ski in Peyragudes domain and we were told that during ski season the runway is used as car parking and its not possible to land there. Maybe we were given wrong info, because we overflew the runway and did not see any cars parked.
As you can see, there was not much snow on that dates, so in the end skiing become only secondary objective.

We went to Luchon LFCB instead, which by the way has also a very ‘scenic’ approach and circuit along this valley…

The center of Luchon is 15-20 minutes by foot from the aerodrome and they have a gondola cabin that goes up to Superbagneres from the very center of town.

Last Edited by Coolhand at 27 Nov 16:46
LECU - Madrid, Spain

LFIP’s runway was redone and extended last summer. They still require a checkout, but they are trying to revitalize the airport and should not (according to what I heard) use it as a parking lot anymore.

LFCB Luchon would make a nice fy-in destination some day !
Hiring a local instructor to allow those who want it to get checked out on Peyresourde would be tempting for many, albeit not very family friendly

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

LFCB Luchon would make a nice fy-in destination some day !

Remember you also need snow for skiing… far from guaranteed here…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

What is the latest on parking at Sion?

Do they have hangarage?

There is some info further back up this thread but it is getting quite old now.

I am looking at Verbier (or some other places around there) in December. Looking for some decent number of blue runs I looked up a few “beginner” suggestions earlier in the thread and some of them didn’t really have any.

AIUI Innsbruck is out of the question – no overnight parking.

I merged a few “ski” threads because every single one went off topic away from the original discussed destination

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Plenty of parking for wingspan up to PA46. Hangars possibly available from 3 diff companies but v v expensive. I have flown in here dozens of times and always parked outside on ramp. Is in full sun all day and Airport is only about 1400 ft altitude. Lots of ski resorts within 40 mins.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message