Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Thanks. So it should be OK with bushwheels, as long as there’s next to no cross wind…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

“Dermatologist”? WTF? Or should that be HTF did predictive text get “dermatologist” from “Zermatt”!

I meant to say, “Zermatt is awesome, nowhere else compares!”

Merry Christmas all.

Forever learning
EGTB

Jacko, i asked the instructor (/ owner of the plane) and he indeed was sad tundra tyres weren’t authorised on his plane, as he said otherwise he could do without the skis (at least for the runway, i doubt for glacier)

He’s also trying to push me saying to get je mountain rating but i have a bit too little time for that, and think maintaining currency would be an issue.

Last Edited by Noe at 25 Dec 09:54

Jacko wrote:

So it should be OK with bushwheels, as long as there’s next to no cross wind…

Crosswind is not as much of a problem as you might think as longs as you have aerodynamic control at higher speeds and enough friction at low speeds. I have landed on completely icy runways in Norway, so slippery that I fell when I set foot on the ground. And snow does provide friction, and even ice most of the time.

LFPT, LFPN

There won’t be an groundlooping either with no friction! The up sloping runway will also help reducing it

huez is relatively similar configuration to courchevel but narrower runway.

I think LOWZ is on for me this week: I have a few spare days until the end of the year and conditions look good: They seem to be getting some snow now, but the next few days look reasonably sunny. The same is true for the enroute part across Germany due to the approaching high pressure area.

I’ll be aiming at Thursday/Friday.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

1036 hPa here so no “risk” of snowing.
Snow conditions worse than at begginkmg of month.

Flying still good though

Noe wrote:

1036 hPa here so no “risk” of snowing.

We had 1043 yesterday at LFHN… Cold front and first snow forecast for Monday. Noe is right though, you want to be properly masochistic to go skiing now, we see all the tourists descent into Annecy or even as far as Aix les Bains as they must be getting cabin fever. Flew to LFMT yesterday, Lyon still bogged in by the fog, think it has been 4 weeks since they have seen the sun… One pilot I know mentioned today that if the depression that will follow the high pressure we’ve been having for well over 4 weeks now is as pronounced, we are in for one hell of a storm…

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 30 Dec 12:59
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Snowstorm? Where? I’ll be up in Zermatt starting the 9th and there’s zero snow forecast till then.

Was skiing in Avoriaz just today. Perfect weather, artificial snow but relatively good quality. Nothing to complain except also flying weather couldn’t be much better.

EFHF
Sign in to add your message