Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

My plane is planned to be grounded Jan+Feb 2018 (TKS installation) so if I am going somewhere before or after that I will post it under Ad Hoc Fly-ins and if anyone wants to come as well, they can

Otherwise there seems to be zero interest in doing this. As I wrote above, most people seem to do this as a day trip – generally locally e.g. the Alps from southern Germany.

Many thanks Ultranomad for those places. Worth checking out. The only thing I have heard about Slovenia is that since the ski resorts there are so much cheaper than the Alpine ones (not just the ski passes which work out pricey for a whole family, but the ripoff transport) they tend to be really packed, often with small children.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m likely to go with some friends but haven’t decided on dates yet. From the UK we pick the relatively obvious though, landing in lyon and driving from there (most likely to Alpe D’huez)

FWIW I have booked an airline ski trip with Justine to Madonna, 24 Feb to 3 Mar 2018. With the BA tickets costing peanuts, I have the option of flying the TB20 to Bolzano instead – if it is flying again by then – even if Justine takes the airline AFAICT these dates are outside UK and Italian holidays.

If I do a TB20 trip somewhere, it will be December.

Administrator

I would love to get myself to the alps this winter.
However short notice time off is an issue. It’s made even more sketchy as I’m VFR only despite my ship being quite capable.
I’m going to try hard for a long weekend to Chambery as I have family in a resort, with access to flexible transport options.

United Kingdom

I have merged several “ski” threads with the “ski fly-in” one – especially as there is no interest in a “ski fly-in”

Has anyone done Alpbachtal? Not so easy to reach but there are some airports

Administrator

St. Johann is pretty much your only option. All these little airfields in the very south of Bavaria are super-restricted, private playgrounds. That’s part of southern Bavaria’s official anti-GA policy. Innsbruck only works if you can get around the parking problem. Also, for light GA, Innsbruck is pretty much a VMC-only airport anyway. So you can just as well use St. Johann. They usually keep the runway reasonably clear of snow in winter. But wait…they might not communicate in English with you, they might not have immigration, etc….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Innsbruck is not possible for parking, AFAIK. Only the aeroclub can park there overnight.

St Johann appears doable from the UK – immigration PNR

How about Wengen:

Administrator

Wengen is a great place and being relatively high they will normally have good snow. Not a beginners resort though and not cheap.

I have never flown myself, but Bern will be your airport. There is actually a runway in Interlaken which would have been very convenient, but the (military) airfield has been closed for many years.

EGTR

Of the two above, Alpbach / Alpbachtal looks better for me – at my age and only having done this for 2 years I stick to ILS-type slopes i.e. no more than 3.3 degrees St Johann seems to be “up the road” so there might be a bus.

Administrator

St Johann even has a snowplow.
Distance to Alpbach is deceiving. Will take best part of an hour by car.
Not a bus – more like three or four buses ;-)
Take a rental car !

Plenty of skiing in the area (as I mentioned to you before) but generally well beyond ILS

Last Edited by ch.ess at 23 Nov 19:15
EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message