Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

153kt crosswind

10 Posts

Yesterday I experienced the strongest altitude wind I can remember. I was only glad it came from the side. Has anybody seen worse winds?

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 30 Oct 22:42
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Wow I have never seen that much. 140 is my maximum.

EGTK Oxford

Not even close. My maximum is 70 kts. Yesterday I had 55 kts of headwind coming back from Croatian seaside. And I had 20 kts of crosswind on landing – first attempt ended with go-around due to gust probably exceeding 30 kts.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Wow! What was your GS? That is some serious crabbing there!

ESME, ESMS

Don’t remember such a wind. If you made a turn, you could post a GS record

LPFR, Poland

On the same day, one of the meteo stations here in Czechia recorded a surface wind of 93 knots.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

On the same day, a friend of mine posted also a hugh crosswind (333/157kts) in the neighborhood of Bremen (Germany) with an airbus.

I can’t even imagine something like that in the small GA planes I fly :)

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Sebastian_G, you don’t mention the altitude/ flightlevel at which you encountered that wind and one cannot read it from the glas cockpit in your pic. Only Ultranomad reports a 93kt surface wind. At cruising level I experienced several times windspeeds exceeding 200kt.
Although readable is 170 IAS to 250 TAS and the rule of thumb of 2% per 1000ft means a higher FL …240 (?)

Last Edited by nobbi at 31 Oct 19:32
EDxx, Germany

Numbers 23 can be seen at altimeter and this is higher, so it’s probably FL260.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It was FL240, after the acceleration it did settle around 260TAS and 220GS. We could have climbed another 4000ft but on that route inbound Luxembourg they make us decent early all the time so we stayed lower to avoid some of the wind. We also had to delay the departure a bit because in the morning the surface wind for the departure was a bit strong. We did also consider a destination downwind to enjoy a high speed flight but then I did a rough calculation how long it would take to fly a few 100NM back against such winds!

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 31 Oct 22:26
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message