Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A chance for private pilots to make some money (Thomas Cook goes bust)?

This is the time to do it – when the holiday season is coming to an end…

One negative aspect of the TC bankrupcy is that by booking people into hotels they didn’t own, they were putting money into the local communities. Whereas (the more profitable) TUI mostly own the hotels, so the (considerable, on full board packages) money goes straight back to N Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My daughter just called me to see if I could fly her to Corfu for October 12. Her Brussels Airline (a T-C partner) was just cancelled.
I would stay there one week. There is a free cabin in the sail-ship they rented.
Anyone can tell me what are the fees at LGKR ?

Jean
EBST, Belgium

According to a post here some months ago (which I can’t find right now) close to 1000 euros for 1 week.

It is Fraported of course, slotted (coordinated) so you have to book slots, etc.

LGIO is very reasonable and not far from Corfu; probably a fairly easy bus+boat transfer.

The other option is LDDU (Dubrovnik) and a bus, but due to heavy tourism in that area this is very messy and you waste all day just getting on the bus.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ouch. Thanks Peter.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Not far from RobertL18C wish :)

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-calls-for-new-laws-in-light-of-ridiculous-situation-11819254

TC was “too big to fail”

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Sep 22:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My daughter is supposed to fly from Ljubljana to Munich on Saturday by Adria Airways and then to continue to Manchester by Lufthansa. Adria won’t fly today and tomorrow and nobody wants to release any official info for Saturday. At the same time I can’t cancel the first portion of her journey and organize alternate transfer to Munich because it’s not possible due to common stupid policy of carriers – if you don’t show at any portion of your trip they simply cancel your whole ticket. Adria of course doesn’t work, nobody picks up the phone and others, including Lufthansa, are not willing to do anything. Lufthansa obviously waits for “no show” to sell the same ticket twice.

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Sep 13:07
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

At the same time I can’t cancel the first portion of her journey and organize alternate transfer to Munich because it’s not possible due to common stupid policy of carriers – if you don’t show at any portion of your trip they simply cancel your whole ticket. Adria of course doesn’t work, nobody picks up the phone and others, including Lufthansa, are not willing to do anything. Lufthansa obviously waits for “no show” to sell the same ticket twice.

Who did she buy the ticket from? What are the flight numbers? JP codeshare or LH and others?

Adria sais this:

Adria Airways announces that it will continue with temporarily ceased majority of its flight operations also on Thursday, 26 September and Friday, 27 September. During these two additional days, the company will maintain a connection to its most important hub in Frankfurt. The Airline plans to operate on both days evening flights on route Ljubljana – Frankfurt – Ljubljana.
Adria Airways is still leading active discussions with potential new owners and major creditors and remains dedicated in reaching positive solution for all.
Adria Airways still advises its passengers to check who their carrier is before they arrive at the airport and if it is Adria Airways then they should contact sales offices where tickets were purchased.
The company deeply regrets that it will continue with disruptions in next two days and apologizes to all its passengers and partners.

So they are flying to FRA only Thu and Fri, no news about Saturday yet. Normal way would be to rebook your daughter via FRA if they continue flying there and have capacity. If it’s a JP Ticket, you need to contact their sales office, if not, you need to contact the airline which is the main carrier for the trip.

However, looking at their flight board, almost all Frankfurt flights are also cancelled, none of them has yet left LJU today and tomorrow only one will operate. This does not look good. I would almost have to say it is very likely that they will not resume flight operations.

Maybe it is a better solution to pro-actively look for another connection from Austria or Italy. It would be a really bad thing if Star Alliance does not honour tickets within the alliance under these circumstances, eg. out of Graz or Klagenfurt, in which case the moment the flight is cancelled I would ask for refund via the credit card company and book a different connection.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 26 Sep 13:59
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Jean, take your daughter to Corfu, spend the week flying around Greece (Milos, Naxos, Ioaninna…) then pick her up back!

Emir, you could take your daughter to an airport close to EDDM (like EDML) and drop her off !

LFOU, France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Who did she buy the ticket from? What are the flight numbers? JP codeshare or LH and others?

She bought the ticket via Adria Airways web site. The flights are JP and LH:
- LJU-MUC JP102/LH6931
- MUC-MAN LH2500

So they are flying to FRA only Thu and Fri, no news about Saturday yet. Normal way would be to rebook your daughter via FRA if they continue flying there and have capacity. If it’s a JP Ticket, you need to contact their sales office, if not, you need to contact the airline which is the main carrier for the trip.

Nobody picks up the phone or replies to e-mails at Adria, I’ll call Lufthansa tomorrow.

Maybe it is a better solution to pro-actively look for another connection from Austria or Italy. It would be a really bad thing if Star Alliance does not honour tickets within the alliance under these circumstances, eg. out of Graz or Klagenfurt, in which case the moment the flight is cancelled I would ask for refund via the credit card company and book a different connection.

Not many options because it’s just in two days but there’s EasyJet from Venice. Last option, I can always fly her myself

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

She bought the ticket via Adria Airways web site.

Right, so that makes them Adria tickets, albeit with at least one LH flight nr. I would imagine that LH will accomodate changes out of this situation, at least for the MUC-MAN leg.
There is a connection from Graz onto LH2500. Is that an option if they accept your ticket for that?

06:30 – 10:05 GRZ – MUC MUC – MAN 1 Stopp(s) 4h 35min LH2347 LH2500
And there are several others that day onto later flights out of MUC. To Graz you could fly her or even drive. Or at least ask them if they would accept her onto the 2500 only, if you can get her to Munich in time. They would be really stupid not to in this situation.

There was a “news” item on several sites that there would be a press conference re Adria by the CAA today, but nothing came of it I think? Also no news out of Adria Airways.

JP124/125 operated today using a BAE146-200 to Frankfurt, D-AMGL. It appears this is the only flight operating today. Possibly LH is starting to set up a LJU-FRA ops using WDL’s 146. The same airplane operated yesterday on the same schedule. Maybe that is a chance for tomorrow and rebook out of FRA. It appears as if LH is starting to think about pax protection.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message