Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A VFR Trip from Zurich LSZH to Samedan LSZS

Last week I flew from Zurich to Samedan. It’s generally a nice and challenging mountain flight with some interesting low overflying of passes. Also Samedan is an airport where one has to go at least once every two years to keep current (on top of the annual online test).

I wrote a short article and added some pictures which got published with the help of @Peter in the articles section. You can read more about it here. I would be glad to give more information if you so desire.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Nice write-up and photos! Brings back good memories of the recent trip to CH!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Nice photos.

Still, I don’t see why I would want to keep the endorsement current for an airport whose parking fees I am not willing to pay. Sure, to a ertain degree the landings there are rewarding in themselves, but still, why land somewhere if I “can” not afford to stay?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Apr 21:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco, I assume you’ve been in Switzerland. Unfortunately prices here are very similar everywhere. A landing in St. Gallen can cost you up to 100 CHF for a 1000kg plane. In Zurich we pay 50 CHF for the landing plus about 20 CHF per PAX.

They told me the “snow” fee is valid till the end of April but I don’t know if and what fee applies after that.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I have some sympathy for the parking fee in winter, when the resource (apron) is scarce. But throughout the rest of the year, the airport is pretty much empty, therefore such a prohibitive parking fee makes zero sense. That plus the silly “rating” has done it for me. Sion is equally nice, and a lot more civilised with respect to fees, and no stupid “rating” required.

LSZK, Switzerland

Excellent pictures !

Still, I don’t see why I would want to keep the endorsement current for an airport whose parking fees I am not willing to pay. Sure, to a ertain degree the landings there are rewarding in themselves, but still, why land somewhere if I “can” not afford to stay?

@boscomantico you try to put common sense regarding expenses in a hobby which by definition has no common sense in its expenses !
IMHO there is no per/hour per/passengermile per/year index.
You just pay for it because its your passion, end of story ! It pays back in other subjective ways which cannot be quantified.
You just want to fly to Engadin and that’s where it ends!. @Vladimir no need to excuse yourself regarding the rating. You simply felt like going in this blessed (albeit expensive) place even if you just walked around the airport. Most of us have done this one way or another.
The true value of the flight was the wife which after 3 years had a magnificent flight.
Hobbies have no price justification and its one of the few details I do not share with my wife ;-)

LGMG Megara, Greece

As I know about the Snow removal fee I avoid LSZS in winter, but in summer i frequently visit it. I like the area it is located and it is a nice short trip.
Some avoid LSZR some LSZS, I avoid LSZR. Our 4 seaters with 2 on board cost about 56.- Sfr, (Summer), every additional Passenger costs 10.-Sfr, parking in Summer is 2h free and then per xy Sfr/hour, but i can’t find the mail with the exact amount.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message