Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A week in Marrakech and the desert

Ibra wrote:

Any Pirep on using Mallorca as Schengen exit/entry and AENA costs?

Currently not possible at LESB. LEPA possible but be prepared for a Marrakech-like handling fee . We cleared enroute at our pax pick-up point at LEMI

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I will skip LEPA and maybe try LEMI (for a change from Almeria )

Antonio wrote:

All international VFR flights to/from Morocco need DGAC approval, for which you need to register here then list your details and wait 5-10 days for approval.If you file IFR that is not required, so IFR just seemed way easier (plus higher, hence faster and cheaper). The question remained on whether we needed DGAC approval for our VFR bimble over the desert but the C-office (bureau the piste) at GMMX assured us if we filed at least 6 hrs ahead of our flight it would be OK. I nonetheless filed a request for approval which, to this day, I am waiting an answer to. Some forums posts say this is required but I found it unnecessary in practice for a domestic flight.

Good you have requested DGAC approval, strictly speaking it’s not necessary for VFR or IFR in P210

This is not the case for ICAO CoFA aircraft:

• VFR in ICAO CoFA aircraft require 12h FPL notice
  • IFR in ICAO CoFA aircraft require 6h FPL notice
    With the caveat of staying north of Tan-Tan,

Ultralights need DGAC permission for VFR (+helicopters, gliders and balloons ) in international and domestic flights

In practice, Eurocontrol IFR is easier, ATC can accept even 1h short FPL notice even for night flight as long as you can hit FL180 to talk to Casa/Agadir radars…the low level VFR & IFR, is a bit of hassle: they need to staff FIS in various aerodromes before opening routes

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Apr 10:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Oh, a couple of pieces of practical advise:

• Get a Maroc Telecom SIM card for cheap calls and best coverage and avoiding roaming charges for data usage when you download your weather data. Buy a 20MAD datacard to add 2GB credit to your SIM, but don’t forget to add *3 at the end of the code to activate it. You can buy them anywhere and the seller can help you do the activation. If you don’t add *3 then you add calls credit, but not data credit (yes, we bought that t-shirt too and wasted 20 MAD and 1 hr of research in the process)
  • For cheap currency exchange bring EUR and exchange at any of the multiple booths…make sure you obtain and keep official receipt if using for fuel! Better exchange in smaller batches or make copies as the refueller will want to keep a copy. Way cheaper then ATM. Hotel Ali at Jemaa el-Fnaa square in Marrakech is famous for lowest rates but we found multiple booths with identical rates.
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Great trip !! I did the almost exact same trip starting in LEMG about 15 years or so ago. At the time, Marrakech charged something like 10 Euros for parking, there was no handling charge and we went through the main terminal. Errachidia at the time had no Avgas, we flew to Oarzazate to top off – from barrels, of course ! Also, at the time, all that was needed was a 24hr notice period (i.e. flight plan) before entering Morocco’s airspace and if memory serves there was no minimum filing time for local flights. The entire trip at the time was done VFR. Definitely a trip to remember, glad you got to do it !

172driver wrote:

I did the almost exact same trip starting in LEMG about 15 years or so ago

Hey, good for you! I guess things have changed a bit since then. Even LEMG is now mostly off-limits to GA…

172driver wrote:

Definitely a trip to remember,

Yes, I am sure you have fond memories…perhaps you can share a couple of pics?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Cool report and a cool trip, thanks for sharing Antonio.
And impressive performance for a certified aircraft

Morroco SEP is still on my todo list (made it to Melilla via LEAM about 4 years ago), and your report is inspiring.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Antonio wrote:

Hey, good for you! I guess things have changed a bit since then. Even LEMG is now mostly off-limits to GA…

I know. I lived in Malaga at the time and was based at LEMG. If I have any pics then they’re in some archival box in storage. This was before the iPhone and at the beginning of the digital camera age. Just checked my logbook and it was in 2005. Time flies….

Re the question of whether one needs a permit to fly in Morocco (north of the W Sahara area), the Morocco “Air Traffic Rights Authorization” link given above seems to be for multiple scheduled, charter or cargo flights. There is no category offered for private tourist flights. The latest AIP MAROC part GEN 1.2-3 quoted above is dated April 2018. My most recent visit to Morocco (Fez) was in 2019, no-one mentioned that I should have got prior authorisation in addition to the flight plan. I did hear of procedure changes following the Covid restrictions, but this does not seem to be reflected in the AIP.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Great report! Morocco is for sure not a common GA destination, thanks for posting this!

Antonio wrote:

All international VFR flights to/from Morocco need DGAC approval, for which you need to register here then list your details and wait 5-10 days for approval.
Since when is this rule in place? I’ve heard from people flying pretty ‘spontaneously’ from Spain to Morroco VFR. As long as you keep your flights on the published ATS routes, you should be fine. ULM aircraft need for sure prior permission, but EASA planes too?! Is there a document available with current requirements to fly to Morocco VFR?
Switzerland

Great trip, makes me nostalgic for my student backpacking days! For fuelling from barrels, are you expected to have a pump with you? (Especially in your high wing)

EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message