Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aches, pains and aeroplanes

Went flying yesterday. Much tinkering. In and out of the hangar a few times. An hour and a half in the air. 7000 feet. Cold. Not sure whether it’s the small & open cockpit, the altitude, the hand propping, the noise, lying on the floor in awkward positions to look at mechanical bits. Any which way, today I feel absolutely wiped out, to an extent that seems unreasonable given that flying, on the face of it, is just about sitting in a chair looking at the view.

Last Edited by kwlf at 28 Apr 20:34

CO? Open cockpit doesn’t make it impossible.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Did you have Covid in the past?

Germany

What do you fly?

EGLM & EGTN

‘No’ (to Malibuflyer) and ‘Good thought’ to both. My right side definitely aches more than the left, so I think hand-propping has something to do with it.

For the price, a CO spot detector doesn’t sound a bad idea. They seem harder to come by than I expected. Perhaps they’re being phased out.

To Graham, a Turbulent.

I remember talking with guys who said they took Tylenol (Paracetamol) before riding an 8 hr day on a motorcycle. I wondered why at the time…. Not so much any more

I’m guessing it’s the “much tinkering” plus “lying on the floor in awkward positions” aspects, plus hand propping if it took more than a few pulls. VWs have short props, don’t have much flywheel effect and jerk you around.

When you’re hot on the trail of solving some problem on a plane, you don’t always realize what you’re doing physically until afterward. Cold plus Noise doesn’t help much either, it’s amazing how much ear plugs and/or a noise canceling headset plus warm clothing helps reduce fatigue when you’re in the wind – I use these all the time in that environment. It’s better to be slightly too warm than slightly too cold.

Today I removed and replaced the left wing on my plane, solo, along with replacing some internal hardware. It’s not as hard as it may sound, but it does take some effort. Tomorrow I’ll do the right wing, assuming I can get my body moving adequately in the morning… A couple of weeks ago after a similar session it was hard to find a comfortable position to sleep!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Apr 23:58

guys who said they took Tylenol (Paracetamol) before riding an 8 hr day on a motorcycle

Obviously more intelligent than I was in 1984… bought a Ducati 900SS from a friend. Trouble was the motorcycle was in Switzerland, and I was living in Slough, UK. Took a flight to ZRH, fetched the bike and rode off. Deciding to skip the expensive French toll motorways was a mistake. Dodging and overtaking a zillion trucks was obviously life threatening.
Departed noon, and arrived beginning of the afternoon next day. Absolutely wasted. No more moving of neither wrist, right forearm useless from constant clutching, my neck paralyzed in pain. Lasted more than 3 days… And that was a very young and fit me.

Yep, age takes its toll, and I dread the day when I won’t be able to get in, or out, of my steed. The very reason the previous owner sold it to me… Ok, I’ll buy a Cessna then

As for VW aero engines, they usually are a PIA to get hand started, true. Local group owns a homebuilt Kolibri, and last time I saw them they spent the better part of half an hour to bring the beast to life.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Lack of sport for fitness? Whenever I need to pause for a while, I notice it in extreme.

Berlin, Germany

I am much less fit than I used to be, but I can still cycle fairly hard for a few hours and not really notice the next day. It’s a very limited form of exercise though – all cardiovascular and legs.

A bit of post flight paracetamol sounds as if it might be a good idea. Pre flight I think I’d legally need to consult an AME.

Last Edited by kwlf at 29 Apr 07:37

It’s the age was it worth it? turbing at 7kft?

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Apr 07:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message