Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Adding basemap Charts to ForeFlight

Bottlang was a printed ring-binder product that’s been dead for > 10 years. I used to carry many kg of that stuff on my Greek VFR trips ~15+ years ago. The “text pages” in present-day Jepp is basically what Bottlang was.

Rogers Data – what is it? Never heard of it.

DFS doesn’t do airport charts for all of Europe, surely? The DFS add-on is likely to be mainly the German VFR AIP which Germany does not make available for free.

Can anyone confirm the three-device option above?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s the actual text from the web page (not very well formatted I’m afraid). I have no idea what Rogers Data is, I was hoping someone here would know!

OPTIONAL VFR ADD-ONS
Add-On Name €/year
(without VAT) £/year
(without VAT) US$/year CA$/year
MULTI-COUNTRY CHART COMBOS
Air Million: VFR 1:1,000,000 Chart combo €70 £65 $88 $111 BUY
DFS: All Europe VFR & Visual 500 Charts (Including Germany) €150 £139 $190 $239 BUY
DFS: Spain & Portugal Visual 500 Charts €50 £46 $63 $80 BUY
Rogers Data: Full Europe Coverage VFR 500k Charts Combo €250 £232 $317 $398 BUY
Rogers Data: Central Europe VFR 500k Charts Combo €194 £180 $246 $308 BUY
Rogers Data: Austria & Slovenia VFR 200k Charts Combo €60 £55 $76 $95 BUY
Rogers Data: France and Corsica VFR 500k Charts Combo €60 £55 $76 $95 BUY
Rogers Data: Great Britain and Ireland VFR 500k Charts Combo €90 £83 $114 $143 BUY
Rogers Data: Spain and Portugal VFR 500k Charts Combo €90 £83 $114 $143 BUY
Rogers Data: Scandinavia VFR 500k Charts Combo €78 £72 $99 $124 BUY
Rogers Data: South East Europe VFR 500k Charts Combo €70 £65 $88 $111 BUY
Jeppesen VFR Procedure Charts (All Europe) €99 £88 $110 $150 BUY
INDIVIDUAL ADD-ONS
Austria DFS Visual 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
Austria Rogers Data VFR 500k Chart €30 £27 $38 $48 BUY
Austria Rogers Data VFR Trip Kit €30 £27 $38 $48 BUY
Belgium DFS Visual 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
CartaBossy VFR Charts €15 £13 $19 $24 BUY
Croatia DFS VFR 500 Chart €35 £30 $37 $52 BUY
Czech Republic DFS VFR 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
Denmark DFS VFR 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
Finland ANS VFR ICAO Chart €40 £37 $50 $64 BUY
France DFS Visual 500 Chart (Northeast & Southeast) €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
France IGN VFR ICAO Chart €30 £27 $38 $48 BUY
Germany DFS VFR AIP €50 £46 $63 $80 BUY
Germany DFS VFR ICAO Chart €45 £41 $57 $72 BUY
Germany DFS VFR AIP + ICAO Chart Bundle €90 £83 $114 $143 BUY
Hungary DFS VFR 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
Italy Avioportolano VFR Flight Guide €55 £51 $69 $87 BUY
Italy Avioportolano VFR Chart €42 £39 $53 $67 BUY
Italy DFS VFR 500 Chart €50 £44 $54 $76 BUY
Italy Rogers Data VFR 500 Chart €84 £78 $106 $134 BUY
Netherlands DFS Visual 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
Norway Avinor VFR ICAO Chart €30 £27 $38 $48 BUY
Poland DFS VFR 500 Chart €50 £46 $63 $80 BUY
Slovenia Rogers Data VFR 1:200K Chart €32 £29 $40 $51 BUY
Slovenia Rogers Data VFR Trip Kit €30 £27 $38 $48 BUY
Sweden LFV VFR ICAO Chart €30 £27 $38 $48 BUY
Switzerland DFS Visual 500 Chart €25 £23 $31 $40 BUY
Switzerland SkyGuide VFR Guide €40 £37 $50 $64 BUY
United Kingdom NATS VFR ICAO Chart (1:500) €63 £58 $80 $100 BUY
Jeppesen VFR Procedure Charts (Individual Countries) €49 £44 $55 $70

Jeppesen VFR Procedure Charts are currently available for: Austria, Belgium/Luxembourg, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy & Malta, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Serbia-Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom

LFMD, France

The other terminal charts are the free national AIP ones, which are variously described as “crap”, “confusing”, or “ok because they are free”

I wouldn’t say that criterion “ok because they are free” is applicable. Some of them are crap (Italy), some are acceptable (Germany) and majority are OK (Spain, France, UK, Austria, Croatia etc.). They are much more usable on tablet than in paper form. The majority of them is geo-referenced in FF.

Actually I suspect FF have largely given up on Europe, realising it is a lot of work for little money.

I can’t confirm that because the features in new versions are related to Europe (as well) and IFR routing gradually improves. However, some useful features, asked years ago, are still missing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Bottlang was a printed ring-binder product that’s been dead for > 10 years. I used to carry many kg of that stuff on my Greek VFR trips ~15+ years ago. The “text pages” in present-day Jepp is basically what Bottlang was.

Jepp has taken over the Bottlang product. They have the same offering, including a printed ring-binder product if you really want that. It is not limited to text pages.

It’s an independent publisher of aeronautical charts. They’ve been around for some years now. Personally I don’t think much of them.

DFS doesn’t do airport charts for all of Europe, surely? The DFS add-on is likely to be mainly the German VFR AIP which Germany does not make available for free.

No, but they do enroute charts for some other parts of Europe.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Sep 09:20
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They have the same offering, including a printed ring-binder product if you really want that. It is not limited to text pages.

What I should have said: the old Bottlang is what Jepp “VFR Europe” is today. It sells for a few hundred € (for “political Europe”; most people used to buy just particular countries). That comes with “text pages” for the countries you bought. IME the data in the text pages was mostly crap; in particular most of the airport contact details were useless. But that was long ago, and nowadays with most AIPs accessible, those are a better source. Current Jepp data is still crap for stuff like customs/immigration, except in the most banal cases (Prague LKPR has customs and immigration, yeah, no sh*t Sherlock) and anyway there are way too many exceptions, with schengen suspensions, the recent changes in Germany, Germany and Italy having unpublished Immigration on a PN at many places, etc.

Administrator

Unfortunately AIS in Europe publishes in accordance with ICAO and the whole PANS-OPS now PANS OPS AIM litany. What we need is harmonized data sets for VFR and IFR including IA data in a standardized digital format. The whole issue is that the AIPs are still the reference content (mostly Pdf) to create charts etc created by lido, nav blue, jepp etc…. VFR data is a cash cow for the AISs …There is no political will or a combination of missing expertise on AIS level to force publication of these digital data sets so the integrators can re-use it for there products… Its like the golden grale..of aeronautical data.
The AIXM data however requires business rules for harmonisation on how to code complex procedure legs etc…..we are still far away …..The FAA has a publication portal which companies like foreflight can use to download the data. In Europe we have the EAD who is slowly migrating from AIXM4.5 to 5.1…..The whole problem is data harmonisation and completeness (mainly procedure data)…..how do I know…..? PM me for more details :-).

PS I use SD overlaid with AIP data for the flying I do. I take a paper copy with me and hi-light the most important stuff. RNP approaches are more easier to use straight out the AIP. The classical approaches require you tag all the relevant items as the ICAO charts are not standardized and its easy to miss something…For pilots flying all over this approach may not work :-). VFR is a business for SIA and DFS …to name a few. EASA regulation could enforce publication but Europe is not ready for this…..

EBST

Peter wrote:

You live in a very sheltered world

Rogers publish VFR charts of all of Europe

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

Can anyone confirm the three-device option above?

From the ForeFlight website: “Annual subscription grants license to one individual to use ForeFlight on 2 iPads and 1 iPhone, or 1 iPad and 2 iPhones.”

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Peter wrote:

Actually I suspect FF have largely given up on Europe

That is not my impression. They keep adding new features and have many useful add-ons, such as charts from other European providers. It still isn’t good enough for VFR to replace SkyDemon in my opinion, but I have found it to be the best (most cost-effective and user-friendly) way to get Jepp approach plates.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I have found it to be the best (most cost-effective and user-friendly) way to get Jepp approach plates.

Would you be able to post the pricing details?

Someone told me (post above) that via FF you can get Jepp terminal charts on three devices, if all are running FF, for the price of the basic one-device Jepp sub i.e. ~€900/year for all of Europe.

From the ForeFlight website: “Annual subscription grants license to one individual to use ForeFlight on 2 iPads and 1 iPhone, or 1 iPad and 2 iPhones.”

Does that carry through the Jepp licensing too?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message