Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

Hmm, I thought ADS-B OUT was to be required for anyone flying in controlled airspace.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hmm, I thought ADS-B OUT was to be required for anyone flying in controlled airspace.

Yes, with 5.7t MTOM or greater. Below that, no.

I’ve just read on a US site that the FAA’s position on ADS-B OUT on experimental aircraft is that they will need a certified ADS-B solution to fly in ADS-B airspace after ADS-B OUT is mandatory, in 2020.

This is apparently the same as their position on the use of GPS for IFR, which is unsurprising to me but is not what I have heard elsewhere.

This means that if European homebuilts are allowed to fly IFR with non-certified avionics, it will be a very much more liberal environment than the US Experimental regime. The cost of non-certified avionics is far lower.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This strict requirements on ADS-B are relatively new. When mode S was just introduced in GA on could use ADS-B out with any GPS. It requires the setting of a intergrity level (LOW). No ADS-B out regulations for EASA GA yet.

Most gliders will use a Power Flarm in combination with a mode S transponder as it is extremely usefull and affordable.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I’ve just read on a US site that the FAA’s position on ADS-B OUT on experimental aircraft is that they will need a certified ADS-B solution to fly in ADS-B airspace after ADS-B OUT is mandatory, in 2020.

The phrase ‘ADS-B airspace’ is a new one to me, but it is accurate in relation to the 2020 FAA mandate: the affected airspace in relation to GA will be all Classes B and C plus the area of the existing Mode C veil that surrounds US Class B airspace. That airspace is AFAIK exactly same as for the FAA existing Mode C transponder requirement, and includes the same waivers for non-electrical aircraft in the veil areas. In response to one of the posts above, there is no suggestion that ADS-B Out will be required for “all controlled airspace” in the US i.e. it won’t be required for Class D towered airports or Class E controlled airspace. Transponders aren’t required there either.

I’ll be interested in seeing if the 2020 date actually holds and my plan will be to install ADS-B Out on my #1 aircraft after the law actually goes into operation. While that work on the plane is being completed I’ll fly my waivered non-electrical #2 aircraft in the same airspace.

This means that if European homebuilts are allowed to fly IFR with non-certified avionics, it will be a very much more liberal environment than the US Experimental regime. The cost of non-certified avionics is far lower.

US Experimentals currently fly IFR with non-certified avionics, non-certified autopilots etc plus certified Mode C transponders. I’m not sure about GPS, but that may need to be certified too – if it ‘officially’ used. The same situation with non-certified avionics will continue with ADS-B Out added as an adjunct to Mode C if the operation is into ‘ADS-B airspace’ as described above.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 May 17:37

US AOPA article

If the USA drops this proposal, Europe may follow, which may have relevance to decisions to spend the money.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think to a lot of US owners, the ADS-B Out law looks a lot like ‘Mode S revisited’. Mode S was debated a tremendous amount in the US and never meaningfully implemented in the US below 18,000 feet. So its natural to me that owners aren’t going to jump to install ADS-B Out, especially since it’ll only be required in Classes A,B and C airspace including the associated Mode C transponder veils. My plan is to wait until after the final law comes into effect, and I think I’m not alone. I don’t care if my utility is limited for a while.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 Oct 15:22

If the USA drops this proposal, Europe may follow, which may have relevance to decisions to spend the money.

Mode-S is here to stay anyway. In a new or re-installation one must be brain dead not to install mode-s. Mode-s includes ADS-B out, but as to what GPS device needed to get the positional data, I really have no clue, it seems to be a missing link/item in all systems available (except perhaps a 20k IFR Garmin system ? )

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Most mode S transponders don’t support ADS-B Out. The position source requires much more information than just the position, In the US, the ADS-B Out equipment must be paired with a specific position source, both must meet appropriate TSO, and the pair must have a STC. Field Approvals are permitted if there is an existing STC as long as the identical interconnect is used and the IM is followed. As a practical matter, for US compliance, the position source will be WAAS.

KUZA, United States

Most mode S transponders don’t support ADS-B Out.

Well, of all the 14 mode s transponders on ACS, only 2 “light” versions of garmin 300 series don’t, including a special “European VFR” version. Becker, garrecht, trig, dynon, bendix everyone support it. All the European brands.

I don’t know what to make out of it. I have no use for ADS-B, but is required to have mode-s in some distant but uncertain future that does include ADS-B out capabilities. A flarm is much more useful though.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message