Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice on preparing to obtain PPL in France (Toussus le Noble) for an expat from Spain

Hello all :),

I will be moving from Spain to France next January (Toussus le Noble area) to start a new job, so this will be a great opportunity to finally obtain my PPL license. Currently I am based on a small city, in which there is no easy access to flight schools, so I am waiting to move before I start. I write this post to ask for advice on the best course of action. I would love to hear your opinion on some questions that I have.

What is your opinion on pursuing a PPL in a foreign country? Specifically in France, a quick google search seems to indicate that instruction is mostly (or at all) in French. Are PPL exams and communications with ATC in France always in French? Maybe find some English-speaking instructor? My current French level is around a B2, and improving slowly (taking French online classes right now), which honestly isn’t super high and I fear doing my training in French may overcomplicate things.

Also, I happen to have some free time right now, so I’m thinking this would be the ideal time to start maybe preparing some PPL theory. Would you buy the books and start doing it with online resources? Or do you think it’s better to just wait and do ground school there?.

Finally, school recommendations maybe from local people are more than welcome :), there are many available in Toussus Le Noble, I will of course do my homework and explore them all once I’m there. Safety and enjoying the process are my number one priorities, and meeting fellow aviators there are a plus.

Many thanks for your time,
Mitor

Spain

By default, everything in France is in French. It’s written in French law.

So yes, I would suggest you get your French up to speed (don’t worry, if you have a minimum of language talent, six months after you moved there and started speaking French for work everyday, it will be quite good) and then start the PPL after that.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Aug 12:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Mitor and welcome !

I assume you are fluent in Spanish and English.
Indeed, Toussus (as we call it) is maybe the busiest GA field in France. It offers plenty of training options. None of them are cheap but some are more pricey than others. There must be options to train in English, but probably among the pricey paths
Be aware that, without French proficiency, you would be restricted to ATC hours (meaning, when the tower is closed, French radio is mandatory).

A few questions first :
- will you work in a French environment (speak daily in French) ? If not, your skills may hardly improve
- will you work near Toussus ? If it is the case, it will hugely facilitate your training, whatever the option you pick. Toussus is very busy on VFR weekends and being able to fly at lunch time or in the early evening open a lot more possibilites and will shorten your training.
- are you in a hurry to pass the PPL ?

Either :
- you do it 100% in English (remote study+ English speaking FI), but you will be restricted to controlled fields at ATC hours (would need to check if you can take the checkride in English)
- you find an FI that speaks english, and you learn french as you learn to fly. it will take more time but will allow you to fly freely in France.

I mean that, your FI will have to make sure you master the theory of flight along your progress. So you must be able to communicate with him with technical terms. Studying the PPL theory in French is a good way to learn the technical terms.

I am a member of one of the clubs, which is probably not the best club around, but no horror stories either
What you will find is that most pilots (either renters or owners, me included) know very little of what happens in the other hangars.

LFOU, France

@Mitor IMO you.should just go for it as soon as you have the time.
In Toussus le Noble there were many instructors who speak English, some well, some not so good. But this should be seen as an advantage. You will learn in a hybrid fashion both English and French with the instructor. And the instructor, all the time will be anxious to know that you are understanding and that can help a lot in the early days. Similarly you have the excuse of language if you keep asking the same question over and over for clarity.
With ATC you will probably speak Engliish because as soon as you say bonjour, ici DR 400 Fxxx or even before that they are likely to respond in English unless you French.accent is pretty good. The same applies to SIV (FIS).
AFIS is more likely to be in French and most A/A is in French. But you will learn the phraseology in French quite quickly and in the early hours you will always have someone at your side to help out. OTOH you may have to help the instructor with his English. I understand that can be quite fun for both instructor and student.
In my day the theory was all from a book entitled Manual de Pilote d’Avion published by Cépadue.
It’s all you need to pass the exams (well alongside ground schooling from your instructor as you go along) There was a question bank included with the book. I understand now there is also online or DVDs for Lillenthal or Gli Gli.
AFAIK most students just use the book.
I think the exams need to.be taken in French but as you have learnt the theory and hit the QCMs in French, that should be no problem.
First just have a look at the clubs at Toussus le Noble if you are to be based there. See if you like the people. @Jujupilote may be able.to advise there as I think he.mentioned je was a member of a club.there.
Good luck and enjoy. Don’t let people put you off.

France

Try Roger Sprague at Limoges https://www.flyinginfrance.com/

Limoges has a good club and does have quite a few Brit.pilots or did have. But its a long way from Toussus Le Noble where the OP is going to be based.
Limoges also did the non ATO bit of the CBIR course at very good rates. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are doing the BIR now.

Last Edited by gallois at 05 Aug 10:09
France

Hola buenas Mitor,

My only advice to anyone about to start flight training: do not go with the National Aviation Authority of the country where you’re doing the training just because you’re doing the training in that country!!!

I don’t know about the French authority but I have a feeling they are terrible just like the Spanish AESA or the German LBA.

Go with Malta or Austria, they make your life MUCH easier in every regards.

EDDW, Germany

@Alpha_Floor why do you think the DGAC is difficult to deal with?
So au contraire IMO if you are going to train in France, get a French licence, otherwise things get really complicated.
If you train in a club (DTO) and as a member of the FFA nothing could be simpler. You end u with very little contact with the NAA.

France

I learnt to fly in an aeroclub in Burgundy. France is very GA-friendly in general, things are structured to limit costs, and the aeroclub system is good at bringing in new people. The whole setup worked, and they looked after me well. My biggest issue was that it was sometimes too laid back, from the non-commercial or volunteer nature.

To repeat from Gallois, you will have the Manuel de pilote d’avion, and your instructor should tailor ground school to the student. A certain amount of this is learning a new language anyway, or at least set phrases (radio) and vocabulary (phonetic alphabet, acronyms, etc): you won’t be at such a great disadvantage as you think. You could reasonably easily do some research and preparation in advance to narrow the language gap.

If completely immersed, your language skills will rapidly improve. Also, the social side of the club will help, e.g. the Sunday morning appéro will be a mixture of aviation and real life, and isn’t chargeable by the minute.

I would go see some clubs in person, and book yourself for a vol d’initiation.

Let us know how it goes

Edited to add: don’t worry about dealing with the DGAC; everything will be done for you by instructor or club admin

Last Edited by Capitaine at 05 Aug 20:04
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Hello,

Many thanks for your responses :).

I am indeed fluent in Spanish and English. With respect to the French environment, I will indeed have the opportunity to speak my (not-so-good) French on a daily basis, particularly in the more social aspects of work (lunch time, coffee break, and so on). I will work near Toussus, yes. As you may have guessed, the PPL is just a hobby for me, so I am not in a hurry. It is true that most of my available time will be on weekends, so I will be prepared to expect a busy airport.

Based on your suggestions, I think I’ll go for the ”FI that speaks english, and learn french as I learn to fly” option. I will try to grab a copy of Manuel de pilote d’avion in advance, to know what to expect. I will also do my best to boost my french skills and, once I’m there, I will visit the clubs in person and do my initiation flight.

Last Edited by Mitor at 08 Aug 11:25
Spain
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message